Chapter XVI

THE VISIT, PT. 1

Putting others down to feel better isn't confidence, honey.

***

CHAPTER XVI

*****

AFTER WE RETURNED from the shopping trip in town, I went back to working and the week passed by relatively smoothly. I got all the jobs I wanted, got into no fights and got myself into no drama.

I almost believed that this was the start of my clean streak until drama came knocking on my door.

Literally.

With a huff, I cut my trip across the foyer short and instead changed routes to the front door to let in the stranger that was knocking so persistently.

As soon as the door opened, I felt the overwhelming urge to slam it shut again. Instead, I plastered on a fake smile as the brunette bitch turned around to look at me.

“If Mohammed won't come to the mountain. The mountain will co—oh,” she said, finally seeing me before taking a step back and letting a disgusted look fall onto her face. “It's you.”

“It is me,” I said, plastering on a bright smile as I stepped to the side and made room for her to come in. “If you don't mind telling me who you're here to see, I'll go get them immediately.”

She stepped in and made her way over to the lounge, walking as if she knew this place as she clutched her bag tighter to her body while she passed me.

Did she think I was going to snatch it?

The only thing I was planning on snatching was her wig if she kept up with her stupid attitude.

“I'm here to see Daniel. My boyfriend,” she said, smirking at me after I closed the door and followed her into the lounge.

I kept the fake smile on my face as I stood in front of her. “Well, Daniel isn't home at the moment so if you could just leave your name and a message, I'll be sure to deliver it.”

The smile on her face dropped as she looked at me, her head tilted to the side in confusion as I mimicked her. “Do you... You know my name.”

I furrowed my eyebrows and puckered up my lips as I tilted my head the opposite way. “Um, no. I don't think I do actually.”

“Yes, you do,” she said, her voice having a sharp edge to it as I tried to suppress my smirk. “You met me at the office last week.”

“Did I? I don't seem to remember meeting you.”

“You did. I remember it clearly. You're Araceli, the maid,” she said, standing up as she slowly grew more flustered.

“I am. And you are...?”

She glared at me, clearly offended that I didn't remember her as she sat back down onto the white sofa. “Samantha.”

“Samantha, Samantha,” I said under breath as I clicked my fingers repeatedly, pretending to be trying to remember where I knew it from. “It rings a bell. Maybe the encounter was so insignificant, I forgot it.”

She scoffed before shaking her head. “You know what? Forget it. I wouldn't trust your stupid ass with delivering a message to my boyfriend. I'll just wait here for him to come back.”

I had already figured out that she was the type that spat abuse at people without thought, so it didn't irk me nearly as much at this comment. In fact, I was expecting it. Instead, I smirked and gave a small bow before I started to turn away. “Suit yourself.”