Chapter XXI

THE MARRIAGE, PT. 1

If he doesn't want you for who you are, he's not worth changing for, sweetheart.

***

CHAPTER XXI

*****

ARACELI.”

I snapped my gaze away from the dark hallway and instead looked to where the voice had come from.

In the room that I knew belonged to Daniel was the boss himself and, surprisingly enough, his fiancée.

I didn't know whether to feel relieved or outraged because her room was exactly where I was headed. Lá Bruja had sent me to her room to make sure that she was okay and had everything that she needed, even through my heavy protests.

I hated that bitch.

Having Celeste being right in front of me made my job infinitely easier, but I didn't know why out of all places she could've been to make my job easier, it had to be in his room. I mean I knew she had every right but I just wished she didn't.

I stepped into the lit up room, taking in the plain design. Daniel's room was nothing special - it was like a guest room but a little more lived in. I understood that, though, because I knew I lived in this house before he did. He didn't seem like the type to really call anywhere a home.

The tension was thick between them. Obviously, they were discussing something serious and I really didn't want be there.

Daniel took in my appearance from the neckline of my uniform to my sock clad feet with no shoes. He raised an eyebrow at that.

“Are you still working?”

“Yes, I am,” I answered, keeping my head down and bending my knees slightly.

I was supposed to have an early night for spending so long in the kitchen, but the bitch just had to come and ruin it. I could already tell that La Bruja would be a kiss ass to Celeste for however long she was going to stay.

Whether that was good or bad, I had no idea.

“Could you get us some water then?” he asked as if he wasn't my boss.

I nodded my head before turning around and dashing out of the room. The tension in there was suffocating and I wasn't even a part of the conversation.

Why did they have trouble when it came to communicating? Especially since they were a couple? Was it because of Daniel's infidelity? Was he coming clean or feeling guilty?

I shook the thoughts out of my head and headed straight to the fridge in the kitchen. I pulled out the water filter and poured the water into a jug before placing it on a grey, plastic tray and placing two glass cups onto it as well.

I carried everything out of the hitchen and towards Daniel's room in record time. I think it was the years of practice that made my balance so good.

I reached the room just ad I heard a loud voice bellow, “You're such a fucking jerk, Daniel. I know you know that.”

“The issue you have with that is the fact that you know that too,” Daniel said, his eyes never leaving the brown one's of his fiancée as I entered the room with the tray. “You've always known that.”

“Are you trying to psycho analyse me?” she asked in a dangerously low voice, almost making me too scared to place the tray onto the coffee table between the two, white armchairs in his room. “I wasn't the one that cheated.”