Chapter LX

THE GOODBYES

There is never a reason to be rude to someone, sweetheart. You understand this when you truly become mature.

***

CHAPTER LX

*****

SEVEN DAYS LATER, I found myself waiting outside the car that would be driving Emma away to whatever institution she needed to go to. The sun was setting, but I was too busy worrying about how she would cope.

I had spent a lot of time with her in the last week and I could only hope that at least she had people to return to that were hoping to see her again.

I was standing beside Daniel and even though we still weren't talking, we were communicating. Just little gestures towards each other that we both understood to say something without words until we were finally ready to talk it out like adults. He had his arm around my waist and I was happy because I wasn't sure how well I would've been able to hold myself up without him.

Pablo was on my other side, shifting his weight from one leg to the other while he anticipated Emma coming out. Lucien had gone on a business trip, thank God, but unfortunately Celeste was still with us. A part of my wondered why she was still here if her wedding to Daniel wasn't going to take place. I kept my mouth shut.

Emma came walking down the path towards the black cat where we were all waiting. She started with Celeste and hugged her gently as Celeste returned it. They shared words, but I couldn't hear them and I didn't want to.

After that she went to Pablo and wrapped her arms around his neck, pulling him in for a tight hug. He wrapped his around her, holding the back of her neck and pulling her close so he could bury his head in the crook of her neck. They both stayed like that for a couple seconds before she pulled away and looked him in the eye with tears brimming in her own.

They didn't say anything to each other. They didn't have to.

She then turned to me and, taking me by surprise, she pulled me in for a bone crushing hug. She buried her head in my neck and pressed her face into my skin as I slowly returned it after coming out of my shock.

She pulled away and gave me a small, wobbly smile. “Take care of him while I'm gone,” she said, her voice low so Daniel wouldn't hear even though we both knew he did.

I returned the smile and wiped away the tear that rolled down her cheek. “I will.”

The last person was Daniel, but the hug she gave him seemed to be the biggest and it lasted the longest. He wrapped his arms around her, really hugging the life out of her too because I think in that moment he realised he wouldn't be seeing her for a while.

It's not like he wasn't allowed to. It's just the place he had chosen was one of the best in the country so it was far out. I planned on forcing him to visit at least every month with me.

She pulled away from him and placed a hand on his face. “You'll be fine.”

He didn't say anything. He only nodded and placed a kiss on her forehead before stepping to the side so she could get to the car. She gave us all one last glance before getting in.

The driver zoomed off seconds later, hardly waiting for her to put her seat belt on as he sped down the gravel road leaving dust in his tracks. I turned to Pablo and pulled him in for a hug, not knowing just how hurt he was feeling. He didn't have the strength to hug me back, but I didn't let go of him because I wanted him to know that I was always there for him.