Chapter XX

THE FIANCÉE

You wouldn't compare an apple to an orange, so why are you comparing yourself to someone else, babe?

***

CHAPTER XX

*****

THE CUT THAT I had acquired was deeper than I had thought which led to a larger, much more bulky plaster since I kept bleeding through the smaller ones.

It was also wide - too wide for the all the plasters in the box - so Anna ended up having to place some medical cotton onto it and then wrapping it up with gauze.

I hated it, but I really couldn't complain because it was my fault. Lola threatened me with a knife, yes, but nobody asked me to grab the blade of the knife and cut myself just to try and scare her.

If that didn't shout stupid, I had no idea what did.

I was just glad that it wasn't deep enough to leave a permenant, nasty scare. It hurt like a bitch, though. I couldn't use the hand properly for the first day I acquired the cut. Luckily, La Bruja had one of her days off on Monday, so Anna-Maria covered for me.

Tuesday, though, there was no hiding it, so I worked through the pain with minimal complaints.

A part of me was beginning to feel like, perhaps, I was having a good week because Tuesday, I was only on laundry duty and through the piles and piles of laundry that I had to do nothing needed to be hand washed and only three garments needed to be presoaked.

I realised that 'good week' and 'luck' didn't run in my vocabulary, though when Wednesday arrived.

No later than ten o'clock in the morning, I found myself and the rest of the other maids who weren't off waiting in an orderly line at the door to greet Daniel's guests; his father and his fiancée.

I didn't know how to feel about her. The past few days, I had forced myself not to think about her. Whenever I found my mind wondering off into her direction, I always pressed my thumb into my injured palm painfully before going back to my task.

It was effective, but never lasted long so that explained why the area around my wound ached whenever I flexed my hand.

I really didn't want to meet her. I didn't want to see the woman that had successfully won over Daniel's 'loyalty' and made him like her so much, he gave her his word to marry her. I knew that setting my eyes on that woman would be an instant reflection of every good thing that he wanted, but I failed to be.

But through those negative feelings, I still wanted to meet her as well. I wanted to look into her eyes and figure out what flaws she may have had that made Daniel want to cheat on her with me.

Not that cheating was excusable in any way. There was just a deep rooted anticipation settled in my stomach and a nagging curiosity that could only be satisfied with laying eyes on her. I knew that if something was to suddenly come up and I wouldn't end up seeing her, I would feel like I was duped.

Suddenly, the front door flew open, snapping me out of my rapid thoughts and making me focus on whoever was stepping in.

The first to come inside was the driver. He had two suitcases in his hand and he wheeled it to the side of the door before making room for a security guard with two suitcases as well to come in. He copied the drivers actions and then stepped aside just as a familiar figure let himself in.

He hadn't changed a bit in two years. His grey hair was still grey and his vibrant brown eyes were still brown. His face didn't seem to have anymore wrinkles than it had two years and through his age, his jawline was still sharp.