Chapter XXVII

THE SUSPICION

Always pay attention to your surroundings, sweetheart. It's never just what meets the eye.

***

CHAPTER XXVII

*****

LA BRUJA HATED me.

If it wasn't obvious before it was painfully on Friday. I originally suspected it first when I was given my timetable for the day, filled to the brim with all the tasks she knew I didn't like, but it become an obvious fact when she had spent the whole day looking over my shoulder to make sure I was 'keeping up'.

I wouldn't have had a problem if she did it to other maids as well, but it was just me. It got worse every time I'd have to make a trip up towards Daniel's room to do something for him. She would hang around like an annoying fly and listen in to our conversations, making it virtually impossible for me to do anything with him. The only thing I could safely do was thank him verbally for intervening but not in the way I wanted to.

That night as I lay in bed, I couldn't help but wonder if this was going to become a normal everyday occurrence.

Luckily, waking up on Saturday, all thoughts off La Bruja had escaped my mind and I instead focused all of my energy on the day ahead of me with Anna.

"Araceli, just pick something. You've tried on every dress in this store," the blondie complained as I frowned at the red dress I was wearing.

It had a sweat heart neckline with off the shoulder sleeves that literally fell off the shoulders. It wasn't necessarily tight against me but still brought out my curves as it reached mid-thigh. Although it was nice, it wasn't the dress for me.

"I'm trying to find one that looks nice on me," I said, walking back into the changing room and taking it off. I pulled on the dress that Celeste had given me and put all the rejected outfits back on a hanger.

"All of them look nice on you."

Rolling my eyes, I stepped out of the changing room, bringing the outfits out with me.

"Come on. Let's go to a different shop."

"But I'm bored! All I'm doing is following you around."

And that she was as she walked behind me while I made my way around the shop and put the garments of clothes back on the rack.

I turned to look at her with a raised eyebrow. "You know you could always, oh, I don't know, shop for something too?"

She scoffed and looked at me as if I had three eyes. "If I do that, babe, I won't be allowed to complain anymore."

I shook my head and turned around in an attempt to hide the smile playing at my lips. She sighed and followed me as I walked out of the shop and into the nice, Saturday sun.

"How about we take a break from the clothes and head over to that accessory shop over there?" I asked her, pointing across the narrow street to the shop peeking behind the corner.

She followed my gaze and then sighed as she looked at me. "Doesn't that look a little expensive for us, Ara?"

I wasn't going to lie, it did look expensive but not for us. The windows gleamed with the afternoon sun and gave us a clear view of the interior, showing elegant pale pink walls with polished white floors and black, leather sofas. Black shelves and displays were adorned with sparkling pieces of jewellery and perfume bottles.