Chapter LVII

THE FIST-EXCHANGE

Not everyone and everything is worth your time, angel. Not all confrontations are worth the energy.

***

CHAPTER LVII

*****

“Uncle? What is he talking about?” I asked, staring at him as he kept his gaze focused solely on the ground. I ran out of patience quickly and before I could compose myself, I combusted. “What is he talking about!”

Isaac flinched and didn't look up, but started talking.

“I was a friend of your father's before he married your mother.”

I sucked in a deep breath at the mention of my mother and father, but kept my mouth shut and listened carefully.

“We worked for the same man and I was his best man at his wedding.”

A guard had come in and placed a chair down behind me, softly tapping me so I could sit down. Their sudden acts of kindness and gentleness was taking me by surprise, but I couldn't say that I wasn't thankful. After crying for the better part of the afternoon, I was drained. And extremely worried to find out that I might have cried for nothing.

Isaac looked up and tilted his head to the side at the way they were treating me but said nothing.

“He grew increasingly worried for the safety of his wife, your mother, as time went on. The worry only increased when Constanza gave birth to you. It led him to going to talk to the boss and striking a deal with him where he would be the Don's right hand man up until his dying breath in return for protection for his family and...”

“And what?” I snapped angrily wanting to here the end of his story so I could move on to do better things. Like pissing Daniel off.

His bad moods stopped scaring me now because I realised that I had power over him. He wouldn't hurt me.

“And he'd own your mother and any children she if they fell out or if he died.” I narrowed my eyes at him, not knowing what to say at the sudden truth being revealed for everyone to hear. Hell, everyone probably already knew and I was just the last.

“He hoped to have you married off to a suitable man before that because he knew that our boss wouldn't be able to have you if you were and as for having any other children, he wasn't planning on that. But your mother was thoroughly against it and ran away with you at a very young age, cutting all contact with your father.”

I stared at the wall, feeling my heart break in two at his words. My questions were finally being answered, but I was realising that maybe I didn't want them to be. My father wanted me. He wanted to be with me and I wanted to be with him, but I couldn't.

And I shouldn't because he was bad. He sold me. He wanted to marry me off to keep me safe from a gamble that he had made with my life. I wasn't sure if I liked my mother anymore than I liked him though.

“Our boss suspected that your father had set it all up and sent you and your mother away so he didn't have to keep up with his side of the deal. Because of that, they had fallen out and I don't know what happened to your father after that. My boss located your mother and you and sent me to befriend her and keep an eye on her for him until you grew old enough for him to marry off to his son.”

“I did that, but I don't know what happened and one minute you were living with her, the next minute you were out of the house.”

I knew exactly what happened, but I wasn't going to say anything. I hated thinking back to those times if it wasn't obvious enough.