58. Not All Is As They Appear

CHAPTER 58: Not All Is As They Appear

Silver orb eyes.

I stare down at him, one hand flattened against his peck, just atop the lagoon scented bubbles surrounding our naked forms as he pulled me in to straddle him the second we slipped in. Deciding on a shared bath over a shower, he lowers me closer with one hand massaging my lower back and the other cupping my neck, "You said you were next to me?" He asks, lowly. A breath away from my lips as his silver orb eyes penetrate my amethyst ones. I pull my arms up and settle around his neck, leaning forward, I connect my forehead with his, sliding closer to him, he grips me tightly.

I nod slowly, closing my eyes, "She made me watch you, see your reactions to a verbal confirmation of my death. I saw how you reacted when you saw the body, Edmund. I tried so hard to stop it." I whisper to him, leaning back as I look at him.

He skims his nose along my cheekbone, "I should've known, but her injuries, the last I saw you, lemon. They were too accurate, I was certain they weren't able to make that so believable that the only way for it to be that way-was if it were true. I wish Sampson waited longer, I wish I'd just worked harder." He whispers harshly to himself.

I grab his jawbone, "This is neither your fault nor mine, Edmund. I have beat myself up like this far too often to know it won't get either of us anywhere. I have 't worked so hard and fought so much just to wallow with you because...I don't want anymore work or problems or cases to solve...I just want you." I breathe out, staring into his eyes.

He cups the back of my head and leans his forehead down, closing his eyes, "I wouldn't go thinking you'll be leaving my side anytime soon." He whispers, snuggling me in closer. He didn't have to as I lean further down, comfortably wrapping my legs around his torso. He lifts his legs up behind me and ceases his arms under mine. I drop my head on his shoulder, curling closer into his neck as my hands move down his broad shoulders and rest on the middle of his chest.

He flushes me to him and leans back against one of the pillows, "It's not often I feel fear like that, Melanie. It was slow, no matter how far I reached, I couldn't protect you so easily from the glass and splinters that I watched embeds themselves in your neck. You looked at me from above me, your eyes stared into mine...I saw it. I've looked into those beautiful eyes of yours all the time, but I fucking swear I thought I lost you. You couldn't respond to me, you weren't even moving." He whispers the last part, his voice croaks as he fists bundles of my hair and struggles to breathe properly.

I close my eyes and press my lips to his pulsing neck, "Edmund...it was just the shock of being in the car crash. I couldn't move or speak or respond, but I know I wasn't so far gone that I wouldn't live to see you again. I just...when I saw Thea's body, what they did to her-my god, Edmund." I murmur, squeezing my eyes shut and gripping his shoulder, he turns into me more as the water slowly turns Lukewarm around our bodies.

He slides his fingers and cups my cheek with newfound strength, "The people who did this are behind bars and my men are clearing the place now, checking for any traces and Rodgers is working hard to make sure each member is found and brought to justice. It's time we focus on us now, Lemon." He says, his voice taking on a sterner tone as he lowers his lips to mine, connecting us more. I kiss him slowly, not wanting to rush anything, wanting to savour the tender movement he places against my lips.

The water drained away as I stare into the mirror, after wrapping my towel around me he wraps another towel around his lower waist. He moves behind me, sliding his arms around my waist, I lean back against him as he nuzzles his head into my wet blonde curls.

I close my eyes, "How did you find me?" I whisper in question.

He smiles gently nuzzling in deeper as his hold strengthens against me, arms wrapping around me twice, "I could find you anywhere, Lemon." He murmurs, breathing against my cheek. I look up at his cloaking stance, his shoulders hunch around me protectively, his grip remains firm yet warm, he's relaxing yet still so stiff. I knew he was much more affected than he let on when he first captured me in his arms.