12. It was All a Test, It was All a Lie

CHAPTER 12: It was All a Test, It was All a Lie

Both Lorraine and Erik was in the school infirmary. Unlike Erik, Lorraine was conscious and didn't have gauze wrapped around her head with a scrapping head wound. Edmund sits on the solo chair, pinching the bridge of his nose. Professor Forthright, who was apparently the closest teacher to Erik when a classroom's lights popped and he was hit from behind.

Professor Forthright has an alibi, he was with another student, and the Principal. Dandelion Jewel. I cross my arms, pursing my lips as I pace back and forth before the two beds in the room, anticipation frying my nerves. Iris, Lyndon and Talon sit next to him. I connect eyes with Edmund, attempting to look reassuring, he closes his eyes and looks away.

"Miss Myers." I hear from beside me, I turn towards the door, where Principal Jewel steps towards me and holds her hand out in a handshake.

I give her a small smile, "Principal Jewel." I say.

She pats my hand with the other, giving me a small smile, "How have you been handling things? After the incident with the library. Professor Forthright has spoken to me in regards to it, the local police would like to speak to you and Professor Forthright, together. He had been there for you, he's been good at caring for his students. You don't mind, do you dear?" She asks me, before I glance over to see Professor Forthright behind Principal Jewel.

He clenches his jaw, stepping towards me, "Melanie, in no way do you have to do this if you are not ready." He says to me, patting my back, I watch Principal Jewel, the corner of her eye twitches, but she maintains the saddened smile.

"No, it's quite fine." I murmur, as Professor Forthright leads me towards the open doors, where two police officers stand, though one looks more specialised.

The male gives Professor Forthright a nod, before turning to me and holding out his hand, "Miss Melanie Myers, my name is Detective Johnson, local police but specialised. How are you doing this evening?" He asks me politely.

I nod politely, "Nice to meet you and...rather shaken up." I shouldn't have said that as Professor Forthright places a hand on my mid-back in comfort.

Detective Johnson gives me a grim look, "I understand. Professor Forthright here explained his point of view on the incident a few nights ago in the library. I'd like to get your side on the standing of the situation. Perhaps you saw a clearer image of the attacker?" He says, getting directly into the investigation.

I tuck a strand of hair behind my ear, "Yes. I went to the library, during the time of the lake party, for an economics book that I wanted to look at, just as light reading. It was on one of the top shelves, I used the ladder to find the correct index. I didn't hear the door open when I thought I saw a shadow down below the ladder. It was a bird's eye view distance, and it was dark, I couldn't tell if it was male or female but they were strong enough the break the wood on one side of the ladder. I managed to grip the top of the shelves, on the platform...that was when Professor Forthright scared the intruder off and...helped me down before taking me to the infirmary." I explain, he jolts this down.

"What time would you say you were in the library?" He asks me.

I shrug, "Some time between eleven and twelve. I couldn't sleep." I was glad Professor Forthright removed his hand and slowly paces in thought.

"I know this might seem like a personal question, but why didn't you attend the lake party that evening?" Detective Johnson asks me, inquisitively.

Professor Forthright answers for me, "She doesn't like parties or alcohol, anything like that." He said.

"How would you know that, Professor?" Detective Johnson asks, signalling for the other officer to check on Principal Jewel when she signalled him.

I hold in the urge to glare as Professor Forthright blinks once, looking at me as if being scolded, "I had mentioned it in one of the sessions I had with Professor Forthright." I say.