30. Taking The Bullet, What A Wicked World

CHAPTER 30: Taking The Bullet, What A Wicked World

Detective Johnson smirks in front of me, "Corinne was the easiest to go, sending her to an asylum, telling her parents that her studies must have been too much, that she was struggling with all the fights they had, after Perfect Professor Forthright swoops in, knowing such information. That bitch was strategic in evading me, and so were you." He taps my forehead. I shake his finger off, disgusted to the extremes.

"Everyone, and I mean everyone was convinced she lost her mind, that she succumbed to her awaiting depression. The drugs made her forget. Which worked, before she over-dosed. It would have become more of a problem, if I weren't on the force." He says, moving the plate aside, he removes his shoes, along with his jacket, he dumps his feet on the space next to my thighs. I cringe away, lord, this man was the cruelest, most vile, narcissistic bastard I had ever come across.

He holds up a file in his hands and slams it on the desk, he opens it and reveals photos of when I was at the asylum that night, of what I found, what I saw, he thinks what I saw was him, "You didn't turn me in because you didn't find the file, Melanie. It was there, believe me, you're lucky you left on the hour you did because I was that fucking close to finally capturing you, you slipped right through my fingers."

I shiver against the cold air, "Then, the ball. Tricking your Professor, I honestly didn't think you had it in you, beautiful Melanie. You spiked up the flame right then and there, the second you decided to kiss Edmund." He murmurs, pointing the knife at me.

My nostrils flare, "All those girls, why? Are you that pathetic?" I spit at him, the first slap resonates across the air, I don't even flinch as I tilt my head back, to look the bastard in the eyes.

He grins, "Honestly, Melanie. I got away with it. Principal Jewel and Professor Forthright we're both that bloody clueless. Unknowing got all of it, Charlize was an interesting catch, she's what got me started, until I saw her with Maven, now that ticked me off. All people had to think was that she struggled too much with her studies, she picked suicide over living, it was as simple as that. The confession made it all slide together, so cleanly." He says, shrugging back into his seat. If only I could rip him a new one.

"She didn't cut herself, you did." I mutter.

He acts like a lightbulb just ticked above his head, "Ding, ding, ding. We've got ourselves a grand winner. She couldn't fight to save her life, and she was always teasing me, but never folded any deals on the table. I was the kind of loving man, Melanie. Not one of you fully reciprocated, well, Stella did, for a little bit. I mean, it's not rape if the other individual already allowed you into their bed." He says.

My head spins, "Psychotic son of a bitch, it is." I spit at him.

He glares over at me, "She didn't shut up, so afterwards, I wanted to see just how far she could drop from the cliffs, where she stupidly tried to meet me, with a gun too. That bit was surprising. Though, pointing a gun at a detective who has legitimate practice in shooting, is either brave, or incredibly stupid." He tells me, I gag, loudly. My throat was sore, my eyes bitter from the tears, hearing their stories, the time up to their deaths hurt more than anything.

I look down at my neck, an idea, or more like a reminder in my head, only I began hyperventilating when I found no necklace around my neck, Johnson chuckles in front of me, "It was pretty obvious the necklace was a personal tracker, Edmund is good, but he's not that good." Showing him any weaknesses was not my top priority, but in this moment, with grave dizziness in my head, revealing my stress was almost too simple for him to see.