76. The Truth To Set Her Free

CHAPTER 76: The Truth To Set Her Free

I watch his silver storms as the doors slam shut between us. I saw the raw animosity in his popping veins, eyes full of pain, full of betrayal the harder he ran, the thunder of his fist against the door. He was more than angry, and if I was able to get through this, to get to the other side, he'd kill me himself for doing this.

For choosing him and choosing them without finding a way to save myself too, but that's how it runs in my family-do everything to protect the ones you love, no matter the cost. His eyes held an agonising fear that he never wanted to experience, a fear that I have seen before as I flick out my two tranquilliser guns and lift my arms up towards the five guards, shooting one in the neck, he grunts and slides down against the railing, while the other four jump.

I didn't hesitate in what I did next.

They circled me. Four predators, one prey and I played piggy-in-the-middle.

The door locked behind them as I watched each one trample straight to the surface floor. I slid under the staircase, waiting for each ankle as I aim the tranquillisers directly at them, firing quickly when each one enters my correct line of vision. Grunts and groans whistle through the cold, isolated air.

I couldn't get each one when I block a fist from backhanding me, twirling them to face forward, I snap their arm socket straight out of his shoulder, hearing him roar under the blinding pain as I banged his forehead against the door and didn't have time to watch him fall to his knees when I roll forward to dodge a roundhouse kick ready to slam me down. Kicking out my leg, I force him to the floor, shoving him away and disabling his gun as I spin and sprint towards the metal stairs, only half way before sliding into the vent once I was certain they were all unconscious.

I threw myself up to the edge of the vent, gripping the sleek silver panels for the life of me and pulling myself back up. I heard the sirens flare in the room as I lower myself back to the floor. All earpieces were out, I was on radio silence, but I could still read the building, I could still detect if anyone was near and watching the silent halls wisp with its memories and those screams...I knew I'd go crazy just being in here for longer than a day.

I moved slowly, traipsing back to my drone, when I read the heat scanner. I used the vent Edmund and Forthright had used to get out of the basement area, wherever they were, if they were closer to the rings downstairs, where VIP personnel and classified investors would gamble against fighters. The metallic smell of blood and gore was all that filled my nostrils the shallower the vent got in front of me.

Not one scanner of mine was working as I track my drone straight to the vent, where I hear voices, "The children's hangers have been wiped clean. Police surround the area, ma'am. We must take the basement route out across the frozen lake on the east side, it's our best option." One of the guards says to the woman who ran the institute.

She doesn't say anything, she only nods and closes the door in his face, letting out a shaky breath, she moves to her desk, taping the silencer that lays there, I enfold my drone into my back-pack and silently slide it back into my small bag, still unable to get in touch with anyone's comms.

Her back is turned to me as I unclip the vent and lower myself to the floor, "Don't move." I tell her, she stands there, not surprised as she turns to see me holding my own gun at her head.

Her eyes don't penetrate it, they look to me, "Still alive, I see?" She murmurs, wearing a red cotton cardigan and a scarf, the air in the room was freezing as she stands very still, hair tied back in a bun, files stacked in the room like a hidden library, none of her tools used for punishments were in here.