55. Blood Bound

CHAPTER 55: Blood Bound

I felt no motivation in filing more useless paperwork as I stare over to Edmund. An unrecognisable Edmund sits huddled in the corner, with his head leaning on the wall and inescapable silver tears scorching his eyes, I've seen his pain before, but this was something else entirely, he was shaking uncontrollably. It wasn't whimpers or sobs leaving his chest, something more masculine as he wraps his hands around his knees.

"Let him see me, whoever you are, whatever you gain from this." I say again, placing a hand on the other side of the glass, his back was pressed up against it while my voice was hoarse every time I yelled for him the longer he'd scream out his pain. I watched it collate in his bulging veins, he had been sitting for what felt like days now, I ruled out each hour, we were over fifty hours now.

"I like watching you wallow over a loved one who believes yourself to be a cold corpse, Melanie. Isn't it interesting? The man swore to rip Claude's spine from his body, and yet right now, he weakens at the very knowledge of your death. I plan to let him go, he'll mourn but will never know of your true state and mind. In exactly four hours, your parents will be notified to identify your body. Your brothers have already done so. I wished I had a family like yours, Melanie." She says through the speaker.

I close my eyes, "Why did you kill Thea?" I whisper.

She chuckles manically, "She saw me, she's been here since the night of your ball, such a stunt screwed up my plans and made Johnson move forward, which is what got that bastard killed." She says, I felt the camera zooming in on me closely, I still pat the glass, trying so hard to reach the man I hold so closely to my heart.

"You're as psychotic as he is." I mutter, feeling drained, the news of Thea hit me hard, she didn't deserve this, I pulled her into this, thinking everyone in my life was safe and secure, the more I tried doing it alone, she's still gone and there's nothing I can do. The woman holding us hostage knew how to plague my nightmares and turn them into one of a reality. She killed the woman I asked to help me, just because I had unintentionally placed her in the line of fire.

"Perhaps. I am stronger than he is. After all, he killed all those girls with guilt seeping Brough him, it was clear everyday I stood in the distance, Melanie. He loved each one, Charlize, Bella, Stella and Corinne, he ended up loving you too and that was his downfall. He could not handle what was needed to be done, he staged those girls deaths so pathetically and Forthright could never get a grip on anything." She says, I squeeze my eyes shut.

"What was the point in removing Dandelion Jewel?" I ask next.

The speaker clicks, "I knew Claude loved her with all his measly heart, to manipulate that-I wanted her dead just didn't know the depths of her investigation. She acted like a bimbo for so long, many overlooked her and without the experience of knowing where to look, she diverted me. She knew more about the matrix over the rest of them. It's why I took the shot."

I snap my head up, "It was you. Up that hill, when Jewel and I was on that bridge?" I ask, feeling strange, darker almost as I try to fix this together in my head, but I felt more weaker than before, almost as if something was in the air, weakening me to the brink of not feeling anything besides slow breathing, slow movements.

Everything felt far too slow.

"You were so heroic, diving in after her, but I watched you, little dove. You flew after her, like a bloody Angel and got yourself electrocuted. Did you know, that it's incredibly difficult to find freshwater eels, feisty ones too. There were no eels in that lake before, Melanie, you would have been warned otherwise." She says, lowly, tauntingly.

"Don't call me that! You don't have the right!" I yell at her, staring at the only camera I could find in this hellish place, the only stall of privacy was the made-in toilet.