29. The Edge of A Bullet

CHAPTER 29: The Edge of A Bullet

I was wrong.

I was so torrentially wrong.

He points the gun at my tied up form. I thanked the lord a thousand times when I chose to wear Edmund's midnight shirt to bed two nights back. My cheeks both stung from the revering slaps he branded against my skin. The styled caliber in his shaky hands, "I'm sorry, Melanie but, that's enough. You know too much. I can't let you live with what you know." He says to me, cocking the gun. The duck tape along my mouth is slowly ripping off with the perspiration drowning around my face.

He holds the knife underneath the gun, "Why did you do it? Why did you hurt those girls?" I ask him, using my shoulder to rip the tape off my mouth, the pain was far away now.

His nostrils flare, "Why do you think? They would complain to me that their Principal Jewel, the fucking perfectionist, was a wicked witch attempting to seduce her way out of the constant robberies she has along with her other qualities. Gosh, beautiful. You fought harder than any of them did, than any of them could. You have more money than imaginable and what do you with it? you soak in it like the spoilt little bitch you are. I didn't rape Stella, she wanted it, Melanie. Her boyfriend wasn't too agreeable. Stella was a slut, everyone knew it." He spits at me.

I flinch, "Charlize, Corinne, Bella and Stella did not deserve what you did to them. Why did you choose them? Because they were blonde, they were pretty, they had money and what? You were jealous of that. Why pick me?" I grunt against the twitching broken chair, against the darkly lit cabin.

"Because, you're all of them combined. I wanted you, time and time again, you would never reciprocate. Then, you just had to kiss that rich bastard at the ball. I'm the one who has been protecting you from everything else, you still chose him!" He clicks the gun. I close my salted, bitter eyes.

"I don't even know you." I moan in further exhaustion, besides him giving me sleep drugs, I hold my breath to attempt to stop the sharp pounding in my ears and my temples.

"If you just cooperated, Melanie. If you just stopped looking into those crimes, I would have protected you from this outcome, do you realise that? This would not have happened if you had let it go." He says to me, I work harder and efficiently. My heart was pounding when I stare back at the barrel of the gun. One tiny metal token, that could take a life in a split second. I have my family to think about her, Mom, Dad, my brothers, my uncles, aunties, Lorraine, Edmund, all of them.

I was so very wrong.

But, I was not to die today.

I slice the ties on my wrist, I shoot up, punching the hilt of the gun up.

BANG!

It fires up into the cabin roof but I rip another powerful blow into his abdomen, days of not eating, of being drugged, trapped in this pathetic place. The walls were filthy with memories I wanted nothing to do with, the man before me goes down in a heap, I kick the gun out of his hand and dart into the night after kicking the cabin door open wide with a slam. My bearings were a struggle but I pump my legs, mounting my knees up the darkened hill. I was freezing in the mud, my bare feet ringing, I step on stones, plants, grime and who knows what else when I hear him roar behind me.

I made it a hundred metres up, I could keep going. Another bullet rings through the air, I bite back a scream when I watch it splinter the tree in front of me, "THERE YOU ARE!" He roars behind me.

"MELANIE!"

"EDMUND!" I scream when I recognise his voice, I run faster up the hill. Another bullet sprints through the air, this time I scream at how close it would have nicked my backside.