49. One Stolen Breath

CHAPTER 49: One Stolen Breath

The blood soaked through the sheets. The stench rested in the air. The eel was gutted.

I stare at the eel, after six minutes from when Lorraine used my en-suite to hurl her guts out, the smell was closing in on being horrendously horrific. Edmund doesn't speak as he presses a kiss to my temple, before getting the equipment and bags to clean it up for me. I lean against the wall of my closet. Watching as he cleans it up while Marvin helps Lorraine back into her room and closes the door, I hadn't heard a word from them since as Edmund removes the files and lifts the bed, I'm about to help him, but he shakes his head at me.

"I've got this, just try to relax." He whispers to me.

I swallow, "Edmund, this was either a warning or some sick and twisted notion of justice for when I was electrocuted by an eel in that lake, trying to save Jewel?" I question, watching him completely remove the end mattress, just as I see what's underneath, I reach down.

It was the book, 'The Night Court', with a small, wrinkled note on the side, 'Everyone uses places to hide secrets, Melanie. This will help you find who you're looking for. I resigned from my position and left the academy, it's too dangerous for me, but whomever is on the leading end, they want you alive for now. Place your hope in that. Sincerely, Dandelion Jewel.' I close the note and slowly open the book, I checked every word on every page as Edmund steps back inside.

"I would offer my dorm room, but I signed a release on it, I can take the couch in the other room." Edmund softly murmurs, staring into my eyes.

I shake my head, "Do you really think I can sleep alone give I've had experience in someone chloroforming me in this vey room and now a dead eel on my mattress?" I whisper, hugging my arms. His eyes ask for permission, before he steps forward and slides his arms around my waist, he stares into my eyes, levelling them.

"I was hoping you'd say 'No' to my offer to sleep on the couch." He whispers, tapping his nose with mine.

I give him a sleepy look, "We'll be sleeping on a couch anyway, just in the room." I whisper, looking down at his lips and without thinking, I lean up slowly and peck them, before he could return the kiss.

I sigh in defeat, "I need a cup of tea." I whisper, moving around him and towards the door, staring down at the book closely as he says behind me,

"I'll be the couch ready." He murmurs.

I lean against the counter, flicking the kettle on as I stare down at the small book in my hands. I looked through the pages, twice, even a third time, there was nothing, no different than what I read before, only this time, nothing was commented by Jewel, no notes or anything, except her handwritten one that told me this would help.

"What's interesting about the book?" I jump when I see Edmund standing just behind me, he gives me a concerned and apologetic look, "Hey, it's alright." He whispers, cupping my cheek and placing a kiss on my forehead. I lean against him, softly.

"That night I was in the library, when Borne attacked, I wasn't looking for an economics book. I was reading this once I got a tip or reference to it-I think. I had read something on it, but I can't find that page. Jewel left a note and left this in-between the mattresses." I explain to him, fixing myself a cup of tea as he furrows his eyebrows, looking down at it, he opens the pages.

Shaking his head, "There's nothing highlighted, underlined, or scribbled on." He whispers, pulling out his keys as some sort of lightbulb appears under his head, he flicks on a blue light, before he says something next, "It's dark and dreary. Hidden underneath, cross-checked with the tide and filled with every letter, every word, every phrase. Find me if you seek the next rune of those who cannot speak. This sounds like a stupid nursery rhyme." He says, showing me the hidden words he found using the light. Pride centres in my palm as I look at him in praise.