68. Adapting

CHAPTER 68: Adapting

There was a time, on a beach trip with the family in The Bahamas, when I stung my foot on a transparent jellyfish I didn't see floating in the water, though, it could have been Marvin who placed the Jellyfish next to where I was sitting, when I memorised the pattern of the tide pulling in and out. He had been wearing special white gloves and claimed it was required for the analysis he was doing on the shells he was collecting.

I wasn't so gullible.

He planted the jellyfish.

Dad wasn't so gullible either, considering he told Mom, who had been busy at the time trying to teach Mathias how to swim, that he knew Marvin's analysis on shells was really an analysis of when my mind was side-tracked. Dad picked me up from the sand and pulled me towards the white tent with wooden poles, onto one of the loungers-where he sat me down and looked at the wound.

I had sniffled from time to time as he cleaned it for me, before he sat me on his lap and told me a story while Uncle Ivan wrapped gauze around my foot, kneeling next to the lounger, Dad looked at me, "Now, Melanie. No more crying." He whispered into my curls, looking down at me.

I stare up into his amethyst eyes, "I only wanted to watch the water, Dad. Why did Marvin have to do that?" I whine, staring up at him and annoyed at myself for not having foreseen such a typical move from my rather conniving brother.

Dad cups my small, six year old cheek, "Melanie, Marvin will be talked to soon, but first I need to make sure you're alright. Is there any pain there, sweetheart?" He asks me, as Uncle Ivan looks up at me in concern.

I look at Dad, "Is pain not subjective? Whether I want to feel it, Dad? I'm telling my mind not to...it is working." I whisper to him.

He raises an eyebrow, "You're telling yourself not to feel the pain, how are you doing that?" He whispers in slight astonishment.

I reach up and tap his forehead, drawing a wet line along his brow, "Think of something else, Dad. I kept watching the tide and was stung exactly five minutes before I even recall the pain merging into my thoughts. How do you get rid of the pain, Daddy?" I ask him, sweetly.

He blinks twice, still astonished by my words, "I-I think of your mother, and all of you." He murmurs, tapping my nose.

I grin, "You only think of Mom, Dad." I giggle up at him. Uncle Ivan chuckles lightly under his breath as he gives me a hairline kiss and takes a seat on the other lounger, staring out into the water.

He gives me a sloppy smile, "Cheeky little thing, I think of you and your brothers too." He retorts jokingly, I reach my arms up for a hug, he curls his arms around me, tugging me in closer.

"When you're in pain, Daddy, only focus on one thing. Think of Mommy, think of your first fifteen minutes like you told us at bedtime. Not only will it remove the pain, but Dad-it will bring you back too."

"I won't ever leave my family, Melanie. You know that." He whispers into my hair, rubbing my back.

"Even if you did, you'll always come back, right Daddy? Even if it's just to see Mom? You'll stay with us to the ends of time, promise it, Dad?" I begged of him, hugging tighter.

"I promise."

Charlize laughs in my ear, "Don't get your hopes up, little dove."

I snap my head up.

I must have fallen asleep, because waking up-I see that it is not the same night it was when I had dozed off, thinking I wouldn't fall into a deep sleep, but I did. Marvin grabs my shoulder gently, gesturing in front of him, where I meet the eldest of amethyst eyes, I gasp out in shock when his fingers curl around mine, "Dad." I breathe out.