41. A Hit On The Dandelion

This chapter contains graphical violence, be aware, you've been warned. Please, enjoy.

CHAPTER 41: A Hit On The Dandelion

Sylvan point was not where this all began, but it was almost always greatly affiliated with the investigations, perhaps even the Cordial Matrix, as they-whom no one knows personally, except for Mason-stupidly call themselves. The Fitzgerald Brotherhood of Troubled Youth was closed down not twenty-four hours ago, I watched it on the news while Marvin was at a surprise date with Lorraine-whom I hadn't even realised was letting my brother in, until they left a sign on the fridge. Headmistress Zoysia was sacked, perhaps even imprisoned, I hadn't cared to know, but what was interesting was the way in which these people handled the case.

It was publicised.

Like an election that's continuously campaigning.

The investors and those who paid greatly to watch the eldest of the troubled youths fight in the rings were kept in the dark, handled discretely, whereas the children, the teachers and the entire school was introduced publicly to the rest of the United States. Many of the children and the older ones were brought into military safe homes, taken cared for with high demand on the US government.

It was a strange sight to see, to watch as riots ruined the reputations of those teachers and soon enough, within two days of my meeting with Mason, the place was crushed by bulldozers who I thought were merely following orders, until one camera managed to catch the reflection of a dark SUV parked on one of the cliffs that watched as the place was destroyed.

My phone vibrates in my pocket as I walked along the bridge past Sylvan point and back towards the Academy, Edmund was on the line, only it wasn't from his phone. I tracked the signal to the Creed Mansion, a mere telephone line.

I place it over my ear, "Who is this?"

"Good to know you are who I thought. I wonder if you do remember me, Detective McLaren? Unless you prefer Melanie? Melanie Myers?" I recognised his voice all too soon, already hating it when a flash of a barrel pointing at my head and my feet dangling in the air like a puppet doll as a certain fighter squeezed an arm around my neck, making me feel inferior.

I glare out into the lake, "I take it Edmund told you?" I question Sampson. Assuming this was how he got my personal number.

He chuckles darkly, "Probably the reason behind his darkened mood. It wasn't hard to figure it out when all we had to do was see a picture of you and it all clicked into place. It took the others a while, considering your eyes aren't green but rather something much more rare on this planet, Melanie. I see why you hid them so well." He says, I felt an undertone of bitterness and I was unsure as to why.

I keep my eyes narrowed on the dangerous midnight waters that plagued my dreams incessantly, a drowning cord that made me feel tied down and anchored, shackled to the soaking sand I knew was below, but all I ever saw was Bella's mangled body. It was bloodcurdling at times, as was the sound of Sampson's voice, "Does he know, Sampson?"

My question silenced him momentarily, "Not yet. I have yet to tell him exactly how we managed to get out. I was ready to barrel him for leaving us behind, but the man doesn't kid around especially when you cut the strain on him and left him high and dry."

I bristle, "He's lied to me since day one, if you knew anything about me, you'd know I won't trust a man like him, not now. I have bigger problems to sort through." I mutter.

He scoffs, "That might just be your problem, Melanie. Edmund May have lied about his past, but if I were you, I wouldn't be acting so innocent, considering what I know. He has yet to see just how much you've been told, just what you've been doing for the past month." I freeze my movements, even against the dark winds of the closing sun and crescent rising of the moon.