24. Liar In The Sheets

CHAPTER 24: Liar In The Sheets

I shove my fist through the outside vent, breathing in the fresh air when I crawl out and jump a couple metres to the grass floor. I remove the mask, my earpiece screeching as I rip it out and shove it into my pocket. I begin running, the dark black van ripped away from the opposite end of the building, obscured from the smoke and flames rising. I didn't think as I tracked their location, opening one of my drones, I search the field to locate their heat signatures, which grew redder on the screen.

I run around the burning building, covering my head and screeching when glass shatters and explodes around me, the ringing it courses through my ears bites at it, like a harsh reminder.

It was a trap, but I got out and I got what I came for.

"TALON! FUCKING LET ME GO!" Edmund screams, I spring faster at the anguish and fear, adrenaline, desperation and despair in his voice wielded me to run faster. Everything; his voice, tone, that kind of fear he held, it scared even me in that moment he thought I was being burned alive.

"YOU GO IN THERE YOU'LL DIE! WE CAN'T EDMUND! WE FUCKING CAN'T!" Talon cries out, Edmund struggles against him, screaming for my name, I run faster along the lit up court yard, I can see bits of them, slices through the wood, but I still wasn't fully around the damage left of every storage unit.

"NO! MELANIE! MELANIE! TALON, PLEASE! PLEASE!" He keeps screaming, reaching for the building.

"MELANIE!" Edmund cries out, his scream almost shattered me to the floor, I trudge around. Powerful and so alone, Edmund didn't stop fighting Talon, trying to get back even though there was no possible route back inside. He thoughts I was still in there, I could see it as both males are forced to the ground. Talon holding Edmund down as he fights him to run back inside. My legs grow numb with the cold, I'm ten metres away when I shout for him.

"Edmund!" I cup my hands around my mouth, almost choking as I watch both of them whip their heads around. I would never be able to forget the look on Edmund's face when he sees me in the flesh, out of the building, and alive. He and Talon barrel for me like two hot red bulls, I'm thrown into Edmund's arms, with Talon behind me, both males embrace me tightly, whilst embracing each other. It was a moment I couldn't forget. They both thought I burned.

I look up, coughing, "Ventilation...I got out." Edmund had lines of bitter salt streaks down from his eyes, soot along his features as he scrunches his face up in fear, solidified fear. He squeezes me into his chest for dear life, and that's when we hear the sirens.

Talon grabs both our arms, "We-we have to go, NOW!" He growls, Edmund grabs my hand tightly in his, and that's when we start running. His palms were sweaty where mine were freezing. Broken wood splintered and eaten by the flames that rise in the dry night. The sirens were getting closer as Talon grabs the bag, Edmund throws me onto the bike, I grab my helmet as he grabs his and instead of placing me behind him, he's put me in front of him on the bike as we skid away from the bush and in the opposite direction.

Edmund was shaking, his hands re-gripping the handles on the motorcycle he wasn't the only one trembling, I was almost burnt to death, by three unknown individuals, the mask recorded everything, I'd installed nano cameras in the glasses of it.

We were fifteen minutes out, hearing the sirens and police cars, everything burnt it all down, there was no trace of us being there, or even of the people who set up the fire in the first place.

Talon indicates to the side of the road, Edmund does the same. Talon rips himself from his motorcycle, Edmund stays mounted behind me. I slowly remove my helmet. Edmund does the same, "I've never been so mad at someone like I am with you right now." He tells me.