02. I am a Man of my Word

CHAPTER 2: I am a Man of my Word

I blink at her mini freak out, "Why aren't you freaking out about this? Honestly, if I knew he was supposed to be our tour guide, I would have packed accessories that hide most of my features so afterward he wouldn't recognize me. Did you see the way he looked at you?" She whisper-yells into my face as she practically pushes me down the hall, around the corner, and as far away from that lecture room as possible.

I give her a look to calm right down, "Does it matter? He's not going to be our tour guide anymore, Lorraine. He was rude to us even though we'd never met before. I don't even have time for that kind of crap. Stop stressing; you might faint." I tell her in annoyance.

She glares at me, "Join me, would you? Did I not tell you how influential he is to the school? He and his entire group might just make our lives a living hell now," She groans, pacing in front of me. I cross my arms, staring at her sternly.

She huffs, "No, I am not blaming you. He was rude, I'll admit, but he's popular, well-known, and has been here longer. We don't exactly have a reputation here for being considered to make a 'high-tide and don't-mess-with-this' statement." She mutters, folding her arms into her chest tightly. She grows paler by the minute.

I grab my phone and dial the main student advisor's number. I hold my latest iPhone to my ear while waiting for the phone to ring. When it does, I hear, "This is Gloria from PBI Academy. How can I help you today?" The woman I hadn't spoken to yet answered the phone.

"Hello, this is Melanie Myers," I answer. She chokes on something on the other side of the line. A grin creeps upon my lips. She knew exactly who I was.

"Good evening, Miss Myers. How may I be of assistance?" She attempts to be posh and precise but lacks confidence in her voice.

"Good evening, Gloria, was it? I would like to request an exchange on my and my associates, Lorraine Gunner, tour guide, Edmund Creed, with someone more fitting?" I tell her professionally. Only to see Lorraine freeze in her position, standing stock still as she taps my shoulder with a strangely trembling finger, I gesture she hold on a second.

"Um...ah...Miss Myers, Mr. Creed is the most appropriate student to give you and your associate the tour of this academy. He is well-affiliated with our extracurricular activities, our student council, and our lacrosse and football sports teams...he is also our current valedictorian of all our years here. I'm a bit confused as to why he is not fitting to....be your tour guide?" She asks me. I narrow my eyes into the grey walkway in front of me. Lorraine slaps my shoulder harshly, trying to gain my attention.

"He may have the qualifications and a reputation at this Academy, but he lacks one skill required to enforce all those qualities, and that's social skills. I believe it is entirely unprofessional to demand my locational status the second I arrive at the academy. If my next encounter with him is similar to the first, I will be filing a complaint, and I'm certain you don't want to have to follow through with all that paperwork. I want to know who's next on the list of students who can properly show my associate and me around the premises?" I muttered, folding my arm under the elbow and holding the phone to my ear.

I glare at Lorraine when she whacks me on the shoulder for the fifth time, she looks like she's seen a ghost as she darts her eyes to the other side of me, that was previously behind me.

I turn in annoyance before raising a comical eyebrow at the aggressively pissed-off-looking silver-eyed Edmund Creed in front of me. His eyes are rawly narrowed to stilts, and familiar members stand next to him, looking at me with equally dark looks.

Blank.

I hold, watching his expression as I listen to the main student adviser, "V-Very well, Miss Myers. I have just checked through our list, and the only other student currently with a free period is a second year who is also on the student council. His name is Claude Borne. He is currently in our school library. I can flick him an email of your request."