42. The City That Never Sleeps

CHAPTER 42: The City That Never Sleeps

I was sitting up, finally able to lie my back on the pillows after two days of resting on my abdomen, I stare down at the needle stuck into the back of my hand, the IV drip cord attached to it, supplying me with morphine when I needed it. Marvin stands in front of me, to the side, leaning on the railing, "Melanie, say something. Anything." He whispers, softly. Desperately. He's trying with me as I stare at the desk that was soon to hold my lunch, a pumpkin seasoned soup. As usual.

I blink slowly, everything I'd learned, it was a lot and I guess I was just in shock. I couldn't speak, I barely ever wanted to as the door opens, revealing the nurse, she steps in with a genuinely soft smile, nodding her greetings as she places my tray down before leaving.

Edmund sits up, pushing it closer to me gently, Marvin aids on the other side. I raise my hand slowly towards the spoon, not realising I was shaking when I picked the spoon up, the silence was deafening as I watch it shake in my hand, I drop it down.

Edmund leans forward, "Lemon, I can help you eat." He whispers, grabbing the spoon with a smooth hand, I lean away from it and shake my head, pursing my lips, I hated this, I loathed it in fact. It had been two days, not many were sure what happened, whether the eel managed a harsh wound on my back or if I was just shaky.

I breathe heavily as both males stand on either side of me, my eyes dart around the room, that corners of my eyes were darkening as Marvin held my left hand and Edmund held my right, "Melanie, calm down. It's alright. It's alright. We're not going to ask you any questions, you just need to focus on getting better. Look, can I call Mom? Please, they'd want to know." Marvin asks me, I shake my head profusely as Edmund sighs, telling Marvin to discretely stop asking.

Marvin purses his lips, ducking his head down as he grips the railing of the bed, but Lorraine steps in, "Marvin, please stay calm. She'll talk when she's ready."

"Knock, knock." I hear behind Lorraine, the door is opened with Mason standing there, furrowed eyebrows and holding a bouquet of orchids. Talon, Lyndon and Iris stand in confusion, no one could recognise him as he so loudly spoke when he stepped in.

He gives me a long look, "Melanie." He murmurs, gently. Marvin growls as he steps up and in front of me, Lorraine next to him as Edmund keeps a tight hold on my hand. Christian stands with his arms folded, staring down Mason from where he guards the door, Sampson does the same, glancing at Edmund.

Marvin spits at him, "Who the hell are you? This is a private room."

Mason gives him a raised eyebrow, "I know Melanie, now, if you'll move aside, I'd like to speak to her in private." He says, softly, attempting to move forward, Christian stops him with a hand.

"Take a step closer and I'll have you unconscious before you hit the ground." Christian says. Mason brushes his hand off, as if he were infected.

"Melanie is a good friend of mine, I need to speak to her privately about something. Melanie, will you call the hounds off? This is important." He tells me. I narrow my eyes, Marvin snaps his head to me when the mattress squeaks as I lean back on the pillows and let go of Edmund's hand, I gesture for the rest to leave.

Marvin gives me an incredulous look, "How could you possibly know who this guy is? He doesn't even go to the Academy, nor does he work for the company, Melanie." He says, harshly.

I meet his stern stare, telling him with my eyes that this was important. Edmund stands stiff next to me, but instead of protesting, he slides a small silver metal key-ring type-object, one that I knew I could press and he would be notified. I give him furrowed eyebrows as he stares down at me softly, rubbing my hand once as he gestures for the others to make their way out. Marvin shoves past him while Lorraine gives me a sympathetic, comforting, but sad smile, following after my brother.