54. Source of Entertainment: Sweet Dreams

CHAPTER 54: Source of Entertainment: Sweet Dreams

Crashes against metal elicits excruciating pain, not like falling off a bike, scraping one's knee, or falling over a set of stairs. The nerves in my bones felt the touch of metal, I felt powerless in my own body, and that is when the recognition of fear seals into my core. The moment I looked motionless to Edmund's eyes when he was below me, was all that plagued my mind.

I knew it was an ambush the second I opened my eyes at the sound of banging, yelling, roaring, and horrifying screaming, "WHERE IS SHE?!" I kept hearing, groaning, I place a hand on my forehead, feeling the numbing aftermath of pain that had been previously taken care of. I had no idea how long I'd been unconscious, just that the second I heard those resonating sounds, I knew it was an ambush, after the car crash Edmund and I had been in.

I was in a white room-"WHERE THE HELL IS MELANIE?!" I swallow, looking around. Edmund stood in another room, right next to mine, the glass between us, I don't think he could see me, but I saw absolutely everything. He stood there, veins popping, red-faced, eyes were murderous as he sends another bloodied fist into the glass.

I sprint towards the glass, "Edmund. Edmund, I'm right here!" I call out to him, slapping my hand on the glass. I watch with a dropping heart when nothing happens, he doesn't turn, he doesn't stop yelling.

"He cannot hear you, Melanie Myers." I jump at the sound of a speaker, a feminine voice-one I didn't recognize, not even slightly as I look for the speakers.

"What is this? Who are you?" I demand of the female on the other side, searching for visible cameras, yet I couldn't find any, they were hidden, I just needed to find out where they were hidden.

"I'm the person you've been looking for, Melanie. You just had no idea how to connect all the dots. I decided to make it easier for you. False information with similar facts to the truth has made it so difficult for you to see what is exactly right in front of you. The Cordial Matrix is here to help you with that." She says to me through the speakers. It didn't sound monotonic, automatic, or unnatural.

There was a real person on the other end.

"TELL ME WHERE MELANIE IS NOW!" I hear Edmund bang against the glass wall again. I place the palm of my hand against the glass. He can't see me, he can't hear me, and feeling my presence between this much glass, I stare into his straining profile. He was sweating up a storm, just as I watch Claude Borne's father step up through the doors of the main area, where only Edmund and I are situated.

Edmund stands tense and stiff, veins darkening and threatening to pop, he watches the brown-eyed, and brown-haired older-looking Claude Borne step forward in his grand suit, "Edmund Tiberius Creed, I'm certain you remember me." He says lowly.

Edmund's chest rumbles, "Where is she?"

The male narrows his eyes, "My name is Claudius Borne. I have seen your fights myself, and I must say-you're far larger in person, that may be helpful in this line of work." He says, Claudius, that is.

I glare at the both of them. Neither Claudius nor his son, Claude, has turned to look at me, perhaps not giving away to Edmund that I have been directly next to him this entire time, and I am, indeed, fully alive, Edmund growls lowly, "Where is Melanie?" He asks again, darker this time, animalistic-ally raw, his tone sharpening to the point where even I don't recognize its depth as I stare at him.

Claudius purses his lips, and Claude looks away, "She did not survive the crash." Claude whispers, looking down at the floor when Edmund grabs the metal chair, twirling himself around. He roars as he slams it against the glass. It shudders but stays in place. I hold in a smile when I catch Claudius flinch from Edmund's powerful wrath.