56. The Girl Behind It All

Before I go on, I just wanted to say...

I hope you're all having a merry day

I hope you're all having a merry day. Thank you all for reading another chapter in this eerily long story! I hope to update more, but I wanted to say Merry Christmas with another chapter in the story.

MERRY CHRISTMAS!

CHAPTER 56: The Girl Behind It All

I sprint towards the glass, "NO! EDMUND!" I screamed for him. He couldn't believe I was gone. He just couldn't. Why didn't he look longer? This trick has already been played once before. I watched Sampson drag out a zombified Edmund, who couldn't stop staring at the floor as if life itself was drained from him.

"It's fruitfully useless, and even you know that, Melanie," Charlize murmurs behind me, taking a slow seat on the mattress. The sirens stop as a camera shot appears on a screen on the glass. I watch them run along snow-infested grass, shoving Edmund into a large SUV as I watch my brother give the place one last look as they leave. They retreat. The second my brother looked back, I had a moment where I wished telepathic tendencies did occur between twins. He couldn't hear me, nor were the rest able to see me.

"You might as well get comfortable. It's time for a cousin-to-cousin reunion. I take it you love your tea, right?" She tells me the sound of a tray placed on a table could be heard behind me. Along with something else. Something so greatly familiar, I hated it. I hated it.

A chess board.

She set it up so the silver metal pieces were mine and the stainless black ones were hers. I stare into her blue eyes, "Why would you pose yourself as a bitch in the ground who had karma slapped around her arse because of who and what you are?" I ask her. As rudely as possible.

She raises an eyebrow, "What colourful language on such a fair lady. Melanie, it's called 'playing a game. I've known you and watched you for quite some time. My grandfather never wanted to hurt Poppy, and neither do I. On the other hand, your father's no use now that William, your grandfather, now wants to make amends after I'd tried to destroy the Chicago and Brazil districts. Your parents are still in court with your grandfather. Mathias is stuck in your small dormitory at the academy. A little surprise will be there when your friends return to it in a revenge plan against the Cordial Matrix, only...that won't work." She says the last part as if sighing in the defeat of her opponent's costs.

I narrow my eyes, folding my arms, "Why couldn't that possibly work? Why are you so sure I won't remove you from an existence that isn't even classified as 'alive' on your record? If you're such a bloody ghost, why entrap me here to play a stupid board game in the rules of your reality, Charlize?!" I yell at her, ready to kick the table down, but she flicks a long black stick against my stomach and presses one red button.

BANG!

I'm left withering on the floor, seething as if having a seizure. She blows the smoke away on the hilt of the taser, "Fancy, isn't it? Celestial designed it." She sings out, holding it like a kid holds a candy cane with a diabetic craving.