60. Kenji + Edmund = Testosterone Dynamite

CHAPTER 60: Kenji + Edmund = Testosterone Dynamite

I steady my fingers against the wheel of Mom's Aston Martin, a vehicle she's had for a long time. Edmund and my brother and Lorraine were behind us, while my Dad and Mathias, took their own car as well. We knew Thea was no longer in Moscow, she disappeared, along with Charlize Celestial, who turned up missing from the precinct four hours ago. We remain on the lonely motorway, towards the airport, Mom's silent next to me.

I stare straight ahead, "I know I shouldn't have contacted her. I thought it was a good idea at the time-tricking Forthright so I could find out if he really was involved. He made himself look like the killer, everything he said and did, I was so sure he was involved and I knew Johnson was involved, I just didn't know how." I try to explain, reiterating this story brought upon so many bad, terrible memories that I truly wanted to forget, when I glance over to the side, Mom watches me softly.

"I've been in the same position, sweetheart. Tell me what made you believe it was Forthright? Because, when I searched up his name on the algorithm I showed you, I immediately saw his file, his certificate in training and every successful mission he's ever been on, the only file too classified for me to so easily skim through was about those four girls...well, three now that Charlize is not just alive, but in the middle of it all." She murmurs. I side glance her, pursing my lips.

"I was afraid of Forthright. I don't understand how I couldn't have seen that in his file, but the only connection that comes to mind is the area, the location I was in. The academy's-Charlize must have covered it from my sight in just that perimeter when I was there, but hiding it from wherever you were at the time was much harder, but Forthright wasn't helping his case." I murmur, takin a deep breath, before I continue.

"I thought he was a pedophile. The second I met him, he acted strange, he knew my name, some things about me that he'd analyse and it freaked me out. I tried telling Lorraine, but she couldn't see it, she didn't notice it. The way he spoke and moved, I was always wary. Sure, now that I know it was a part of his cover, it might have made some sense, but I hated feeling that way. Charlize had one on me when she kept taunting me about not being fearless enough, about relying on Edmund too much and that being what led him to lie to me about his family and his past." I whisper, glancing at the back mirror, to see Edmund behind me, driving smoothly in the large SUV.

I look at him for just a single moment and have the memory of his skin against mine redden lusciously behind my eyes. I glance at the ring on my finger, no one asked about it, I didn't even see Mom look at it, only when I glance at her, she's smiling to herself, "You get that look in your eyes, when you're thinking about Edmund. Your father will come around." She murmurs.

I take a deep breath, "Edmund wants to elope." I tell her.

She's silent.

Almost too quiet.

Until she says to me, "Do I have a grandchild on the way, dear?" She asks me, warmly.

My eyes widen, "What?! Mom! No, of course not!" I gasp out, turning my head to her for just a second.

She claps her hands as she laughs. It was always a sight when Mom laughs, almost like she was a teenager again, carefree and beyond happy. As a child, all the time, I'd see Dad naturally make Mom laugh like this all the time and I saw the look on his face, every night when they were sipping red wine on the porch and listening to jazz music with the fairy lights on. They danced, all the time.

Marvin and I would giggle to ourselves late at night when we'd sneak to the kitchen for some ice-cream and see them either dancing on the porch or walk out to the lake and we were kids, so we immediately thought they were just going out for a late night swim.