63. Poisoned

CHAPTER 63: Poisoned

I stare down at the floor as Edmund flicks off the television when another ad turns on, resting Forthright's case after hearing about the gory details of his demise and just the connections he has to The Cordial Matrix, a group who's getting more dangerous by the minute. Edmund stares me down next to him. Marvin and Lorraine left exactly thirteen minutes ago, after watching just what had been found. Parts of Forthright's limbs were found at the bottom of the Sylvan lake, as was a bracelet from an old murder, but not just any murder-Bella Cruise's. Golden bracelet.

Exactly like the one I had found.

Now, all those cases have been opened.

Including Charlize's.

Edmund's phone vibrates on the duvet next to the pillows, while I still sit on his lap at the edge of the bed, he stares at me and studies me, holding me close into his side. I swallow, "I can't believe it." I whisper in astonished shock, yet stoic manner was all that was written against my pale facial features. I felt sick after just watching how much Forthright was tortured. They put those graphics on television, which sickened me more.

My phone vibrates next, the number was unknown.

I ignore it as Edmund leans in, placing his forehead on my temple, "You can't believe that he's dead? Or for the way he died?" He whispers, uncertain as he too sounds hoarse and confused, horror didn't move against his features like it had done to mine when I watched, when I saw what had happened to him.

I shake my head, "Why would they make themselves this public? Why target Forthright out in the open and leave his body behind? Why was Forthright's body found, yet no one could find Bella's?" I ask him, sitting up, looking into silver orb eyes and seeing no possible answer. He was more focused on holding me, rather than attempting to figure out yet another murder in the same investigation.

Edmund's phone rings again.

It was midnight, who would be calling this late if it weren't Sampson? Or Iris.

Edmund shakes his head, "I don't know, but I am unsure whether this was a direct command from the Cordial Matrix. You're right, this is far too out in the open and the way the body was found makes me believe it might have something to do with the Fitzgerald youth." He tells me, moving his head back, fixing a strand of raven hair that dropped down on his forehead.

I could hear my heartbeat thrum like a train on tracks, running and pumping blood by the litre through my veins, making everything feel as though one more break and I'll burst into a pile of ruby red liquid on the rug against the floorboards of this room. Edmund lifts me by the hips and sets me down on the mattress, placing a kiss on my forehead.

"What do you mean?" I murmur, confused, terrified. I shouldn't have been terrified, but I had known Forthright closely, each and every single meeting, or session that had me believing he was the bad guy, the ultimate enemy, to being the Detective trying to protect me.

He curls his arm underneath me and slides me against his bare chest, "Headmistress may have something to do with this. We removed the institute, her ability to make money at the suffering and abuse of others. I wouldn't be surprised if she orchestrated something like this, because The Cordial Matrix could have done something to him a long time ago, and yet they didn't. That includes Mason Wyatt, Claude and Claudius, not one of them felt truly threatened by Forthright. They're fear is being in the known...this contradicts that." He tells me, staring into my eyes, looking closely to see if an understand.

I furrow my eyebrows, "The markings on his skin-you recognised them?" I ask him, I could see it in his stern, overprotective eyes, I could feel it in the grip he had on me. He was afraid almost, but he didn't dare show it, not even to me.