23. Mission Is Go

CHAPTER 23: Mission Is Go

I stare at Edmund, "The more we contemplate this, the longer it'll take." I tell him, he's stayed seated on my solo couch chair for the past ten minutes trying to find any other way around this. One hand holding his temple and cheek, the other fisted on his knee as Talon sits at the edge of the couch, two hands palmed horizontally over his lips.

He stares up into my eyes, before turning to Erik, "Have you checked the cameras in the area?" He asks him. Lorraine, Lyndon, Iris and Erik all sit facing forward, Erik nods.

"It's abandoned, but the unit is...well, it's complicated. To get to the exact coordinate destination, you have to pass through a set of adjacent ones, and when I say this place is abandoned, I mean, broken, filled with termites, and likely to be a trap." He says. I move, tapping the screen and flicking it over to the main screen I installed above the fireplace.

I use my fingers to zoom in, "Alright, the entrance is there. We'd be twelve units from the specific storage unit we want. It's likely someone has detection sequences there, otherwise, they'd have no way of knowing whether we'd gone to the unit or not. To drop my drones and corruption infiltrators, I'd have to be there." I explain, using a bird's eye view angle. I stare at that fence in front of the entrance.

Lorraine catches me looking, "You can just cut through the wire, Melanie. That would probably be the easy part." She says.

I sigh, wracking my hands through my hair, "Yes, it would be. Had those wires not been connected to underground detection systems that could notify just about anyone with the right frequency, the fence has a twenty-thousand-volt charge. I'd have to find a small enough entrance to neutralize the detectors underground or well-we improvise." I murmur.

Edmund leans forward, "Improvise how?"

I cringe, "You do your hulk thing and throw me over." Damn loose lips.

Lorraine and Iris giggle.

Edmund, and almost all the other males in the room, give me a deadpanned look. Edmund's is the strongest. Those silver eyes pierce me like metaphorical knives, "You've got to be kidding me."

I shake my head, "Look; if you get me over the fence, I can hardwire the containment unit on the other side and open it without anyone detecting anything."

Talon's eyes widen, "Wow, you are scarier than I thought." I fold my arms, giving him a glare, and he raises his hands in surrender, grinning. Only when he catches Edmund's pointed glare, he rolls his eyes but loses the grin.

Edmund leans forward, both elbows on his knees. He squints into the distance, "Alright, we get you over the fence. You re-wire what you need to, to open the fence. We get inside, then what? We don't even know what kind of danger you-I mean we-could face, once you get inside." He says, changing his words slightly.

I sigh, "It's a risk I'm willing to take, but I will still go, even if you don't. I'll admit that." I tell him, taking a sip of another glass of water, needing to clear my head, especially for an operation as big as this.

He stands, "Lemon, this is too risky. Far too risky, especially when we don't know what we're getting into. Erik is certain this is a trap, I don't want to risk this." He says, furrowing his eyebrows, clenching his jaw.

I turn to the others, "Let's do a vote. Yes, or No?" I ask, turning to Lorraine first.

She sighs, glancing at the others, "She'll go alone otherwise, the club, she did that alone, running in here when someone broke in, going to the library late at night, claiming to have been looking for an Economics book when even I know that's crap. I say Yes, but I want to be there every step of the way, eyes, and ears. We can help you that way." She says.