20. The Divergent Nightmare

CHAPTER 20: The Divergent Nightmare

Two and a half weeks in the city of Vancouver wasn't difficult to get used to, but as a British citizen, I truly missed the opportunistic thunderstorms and rain tidal waves. The rain hit my windshield harshly. I was taking a back route from Sylvan point, after reading Maven's email, I checked and re-routed the map coordinates into my navigational system. It was late afternoon when I park on the side of the road, activating my protective wheels on the rough grass.

Using my phone, I slip out of the car, using my dark, pitch black umbrella, I silence my steps, moving conscientiously through the dampened bark and wild-life in the area. I chose against heels and opted for canvas shoes, thankfully, they were black because I hold the urge to screech when I almost slide through the mud.

I huff, moving through the silhouetted trees. Each howl and bird chirp set me on edge the closer I got to Sylvan point. I use my flashlight to watch where I stepped, knowing there were a few animal traps, mainly for pests but it was still unethical for animals who didn't endanger the environment.

My pocket knife and small screw-drivers would be useful, the second my flashlight touch the surface of a hidden wooden and chained box I could detect from under the tree trunk.

I move slowly towards it, noticing the leaf vines, I move them aside, handing the torch on the closest available branch above me, my black trench coat was close to touching the surface of the ground, I sit up, unravelling the vines.

The chain was too rustic, I was able to slide it along the moulded wooden box, using the correct screw-drive, I unscrew the four grey screws in the side corners. I wasn't prepared for what I was going to find, when I swipe the torch and open the lid of the box.

Files.

Four of them, messily stacked and looked like they hadn't been touched for a good two years. I grab everything there was, stacking it into the black open bag in my hands. I check around the corners and the sides, before finding a set of keys in a folded piece of fabric that was nailed to the side. I swipe the ring of the keys, checking everywhere else. Hurriedly, I grab the bag and bury the box deeper into the trunk of the barricaded tree stump.

I look up in just that one second, somehow I wish I hadn't. I was more than just slightly disgusted at what I see. I was too disgusted to breathe properly.

Sylvan Point had a direct view of the back of the Academy, I almost couldn't recognise that Principal Jewel's office was in direct sight to where I stood, but what was worse...

Claude Borne, currently kissing Principal Jewel's neck from what I see.

I almost gag.

My phone vibrates in my pocket, shocking me, I bite my lip to stop the screech as I look down to my trench coat pocket. I reveal the screen, Lorraine's name is on the front. I let the call go to voicemail, glancing back up with widened eyes, Principal Jewel closes the curtains to her office.

Claude Borne. The exact one I was about to change over as my tour guide on the first day here.

Claude Borne. What in the world?

I swallow, one of the folders drop in my hands, I curse in my head, leaning back down to grab the folder, before my phone vibrates again, Lorraine's name on the screen. I let that go to voicemail as bile wretches around in my throat. He's still a student here, she's the Principal, this is illegal as far as I know.

Holy.

Hell.

Claude Borne...and Principal Dandelion Jewel.