10. The Fall of a Broken Neck

CHAPTER 10: The Fall of a Broken Neck

I give him a sure look of defiance, indicating back onto the road, "It could have been a bad contractor in business, Edmund." I divert him, but undoubtedly, he gives me an annoyed and stern look. I shake my head, clearing my throat as I drive back onto the main road and increase to the appropriate speed.

"Or it could have something to do with Forthright? What would be the chances, lemon?" He asks me, a serious tone of voice as he holds his elbow on the window sill, holding his forehead in the same hand.

"I don't know the chances because I've been here for two weeks. It's more likely this had something to do with the business," I murmur, attempting to calm him; by this logical fact, he glances over my way, now thinking that to be more likely than any other theory, which was advantageous for me.

"Are you thinking of hiring guards?" He asks me.

I smirk, "It sounds like you already have." I say, parking into the spot next to Lorraine's Sedan as Edmund very slowly, very silently turns to me, eyes penetrating silver flames through my amethyst ones...attempting to ignite a storm in my own.

"How do you know about that?" He asks me.

I face forward, "You rigged my phone, didn't you?" He asks, calmly but with the thin-veiled betrayal. He leans back in his seat, chuckling darkly while rubbing one hand down his chin.

I unlock the car with my bag in hand, and both doors rise. I step out as he does the same. I bite my lip, awaiting his actions, but he walks past me and towards the doors that open by Lyndon; considering they all seem to be getting ready for the party at the lake, Lyndon sees the coldness in Edmund's face.

I see Iris on the couch next to Lorraine, who looks up at me and gasps, "What the hell?" She stands, raising her hand to her mouth.

Edmund paces in front of the television, one hand on his hip and the other over his mouth. He glares at me, "How long have you been listening in to my phone calls?" He asks me, and the room scouring the Elite stills comically.

I tilt my head, "If I'm going to be truthful, it's not just your phone. Anyone who googles my name, I'm immediately notified. Erik knows more about it." I gesture to him as he sits at the dining table, only to turn to me with wide eyes.

"Wait...you heard me..." He trails off, and I nod.

"Quite an interesting description of me you had." He blushes rather quickly, I turn back to Edmund, who's giving me a flat look, clenching his jaw. He stares at me meticulously.

"So, you know every time I've googled your name?" He says. I raise an eyebrow, and Lyndon snorts behind me, crossing his arms, mirthfully staring at Edmund next to me.

"I only focused on the first. Hacking into your phone was merely for security reasons. Everything else you want to talk about will remain in private." The last sentence I had said was low, and he saw that undertone and gestured to the door of my room.

"By all means?" I was hesitant, and he noticed that before waiting.

I roll my eyes with a tired sigh before stepping towards it and making sure to hide the code with my form. I step inside and close the door behind him. He glances around the room before turning back to me. I sigh in defeat, "I only hacked your phone to make sure that when you had lessons with Forthright, you wouldn't say anything if I were to tell you anything. This was merely a safety mechanism not in regards to trust, but I still don't know you fully, and you had even encouraged me to speak to Forthright about any problems I may have had. You didn't understand my worry. I had to take extra caution." I explain to him. He closes his eyes and pinches the bridge of his nose.