13. Information Pays More Than Pleasure

CHAPTER 13: Information Pays More Than Pleasure

"That's how you greet your twin after twelve months?" His voice is amused, on a tangent of colossally grated teasing.

I have the biggest smile on my face, "The amount of missed calls from me must have really paid off, Mr. America, and you pick now to call. Talk about the worst of timings, but it's good to hear from you." I lean against the wall with the phone to my ear.

"I believe the name is 'Captain America,' Copycat, and awe, I feel so bad. Do you want me to hang up?" He teases, and I roll my eyes.

"I'd fill your voicemail with the most agitated calls if you even think about it. Now, why the callback?" I wonder and happen to glance over to the Elite, to meet cold, silvery eyes that stare down at me, impenetrable and very chilled.

As Marvin says, I narrow my eyes at him, "You already did that. You would think you'd have more game. Is my sister losing her touch?" He asks, chuckling feverishly.

I let out a mock growl, "We all know who's better at annoying the other. How's Washington...not too politically boring?" I place a hand on my hip, using a low tone.

He chuckles before cutting the fake laugh, "Queen of utter irritation, I'm so glad we both agree on that, and No, Washington is busy and entertaining. Seriously, you should visit?" He attempts to persuade.

I laugh, "Really? Me, in Washington. Do you seriously think you can handle that kind of competition? I'm the one with the higher IQ. I'd be knocking you right out of the school before you can put your pen to the exam paper. How are you coping anyway, getting homesick?" I ask, just as the door opens, and in walks Professor Forthright, who stands next to me.

"Melanie, may I speak-" I hold a finger and point to the phone next to my ear. He folds his arms, waiting.

"No, I'm not homesick. I'm just checking in. Mom called and said she couldn't get ahold of you. She, Mathias, and Dad ventured to Vancouver on vacation while we were both stuck in our studies. It was good to hear from them...Dad's still pissed I left." He says.

I sigh, "I'm not completely surprised. I've been busy, that's all. I'll have to give her a ring later." I mutter.

"What's going on, Mel? You sound stressed." He says. I huff.

"I'm not stressed. I'm just working through the kinks of the Academy," I say to him, Professor Forthright raises an eyebrow, and I glance away from him.

"Why not take a spa day?" He suggests over the phone.

I cringe, "A spa day? That's your advice. Look, can I call you back? I've got a specific individual with a stick up his arse that I need to deal with." I mutter. Professor Forthright purses his lips in annoyance.

"I'd say break the bastard's fingers, but you always go for something more painful and permanent. Who's the male? I could do some digging?" He offers.

I sigh in defeat, "I've got it handled, but if I need you, do be on call."

"Of course. I love you...no matter how stupid that sounds."

I giggle, "I love you too. Bye." I say the room is completely silenced.

I turn to a jaw-clenching Professor Forthright, who swallows harshly, "You know what? Never mind, I'm required to remove the stick up his arse, as you so eloquently put it." He says bitterly. He struts out of the room, slamming the door closed behind him.

I blow out a puff of air, "He's intense." I turn back to them all. Lorraine's eyes widened to the fullest as she gasped at me.

"You just insulted a teacher."