77. Lemon Quartz

CHAPTER 77: Lemon Quartz

The furry blanket surrounded Edmund, which decided to cloak me in his bare arms I sit in his lap, staring out into the building where I had to watch the Headmistress shoot herself in the head. He holds me tightly in his arms, hands no longer wearing gloves, he slides them to unzip the heavy-suited jacket. I don't even shiver at how carefully he exerts his natural body temperature, warming me up easily. We'd left straight after we'd given our statements and I promised Kahn, along with many other children that they would now be taken care of. I promised that one day I would come back to see him, knowing that Edmund vowed we stay one night at his mansion, before returning back to London.

I sit with my legs positioned on his back. He carefully leans against them, making sure I was comfortable, but still as close to him as humanly possible while nuzzling me as I stare at it in the back of the SUV that holds the rest of his team.

I curl my freezing cold hands around his neck as I overhear Ivy say to Sampson, "I've never seen Edmund like this." She whispers to him, where he keeps her tightly enclosed into his side, despite Christian's glares to want to hold her hand.

Talon is stoically driving, happy to not speak to me for a while. Edison is silent, barely moving I his seat as dread and loss fill his eyes, Edmund turns me back to him once I was looking back to see if Erik, Lyndon, or Iris had been injured.

He lowers his forehead to mine, not saying, "He's found his rock, just like I said." Christian says behind me.

Lyndon coughs sarcastically, "I think punching a federal agent and running in there like a mad man on a mission gave us all we needed to know, Christian. Look at them." He whispers, scoffing.

I look up at him, he grips me tightly to his burly chest, his shoulders hunch around me. I sigh in defeat, "You're mad." I state, it wasn't a question where he could give me a definitive answer, he was angry with what I did. Sacrificing myself for them, I could see it in the tightness of his jawline, the protective aura he circles around me, ten-fold.

Lips lower to mine in the softest flutter. A feather-like touch, a never-ending peck as he brushes his lips against mine and seems to lift me closer and higher, by pulling my hips until they were aligned with his. There was a faint tremble in the way he kisses me, making me pull back just a little bit, and curl my arms closer around his burly neck.

He does the same with me, enclosing his arms under mine, around my waist, he keeps his eyes closed, "I wish you didn't close that door." His voice is barely audible as he opens his eyes, silver ones glass over, only slightly as he hides it from the others, moving his head down to connect our foreheads.

I cup his cheek, "I had to, you know that. I couldn't risk those kids getting hurt, and if you did end up seeing those guards, I was able to get through them pretty quickly." I whisper, smiling softly. He doesn't smile.

"What happened afterward? I made it in there within ten minutes. Where were you?" He asks me, staring down with a stern, serious look that couldn't be removed from his eyes. I mouth to him 'later'. I didn't want to say it now, I didn't want to say it out loud as he purses his lips. I curl the back of my head into his neck as he rubs my lower back, hiding his face in my hair. He tenses around me, so I reach up to run my fingers down the nape of his neck.

Where it was still shaved.

He relaxes after half an hour of driving, making me question where we were going, until I realized it was the airport, straight to Edmund's charcoal jet. He carried me out of the car and straight inside, not once looking back at the others, and stepping straight into a room before locking the door.

"Edmund." I gasp out, he slides down the door with me in his arms and sniffles, he breaks down right in front of me. Squeezing me against his chest as he trembles around me, his legs drop out around me as he encloses me against his chest.