chapter 49-flower petals

December 4th, 2019
Rachel's p/v
"Do you even know how to steer?"
"Please, I've been doing it since inside the womb."

Tyler and I are at the arcade. After my dentist appointment, he picked me up in his bicycle, the ones with two seats. We cruised around town and then agreed on hanging at the arcade for a bit. How did I convince Darry to let me go? Technically, I'm with Sage right now. But in reality, I'm with my angel.
"You drove off the road and didn't even bother trying to go back on it."
"You think you can do better, love?"
"Move over."
Tyler gets up from the seat. I grab the steering wheel.
"Wait-how did you do that?"
"Do what? Drive?"
"I'm surprised you don't have your permit yet."
"That's because Darry doesn't wanna teach me. He thinks I'm too young."
"What? You're of age though."
"His rules, not mine. Only here to follow them," I step on the pedal and zoom to the finishing line, "How hard was that?"
"I think you deserve a prize."
"Oh yeah," I look at his lips, "What's the prize?"
Tyler dips his finger into the whip cream on his pie.
"Don't you dare-"
He puts the whip cream on my nose. "Adorable."
"Oh, you're so going down."
Tyler runs away. I grab his jacket and run after him. If he wasn't sonic he would totally be on the ground right now.

Darry's p/v
"I'm sorry about that, I didn't mean to upset your friend."
"Don't apologize, it's not your fault at all. I was the one who just left her there."
Mary and I sit down on a bench. It's so cool, the design is cool.
"Nonetheless, I polarized you with my emotions. You're not obligated to spend 20 minutes in my room trying to make me feel better."
"But I chose to do so. I can never leave a friend in despair."
Mary plays with her rings. "It's getting hard, Darry. After Sara and her friends bullied me again it was so difficult walking around school. No one gave me weird looks, but I felt weird about myself. I tried so hard to not let it get to me but now with the rumor she started I don't think I can ever show my face again. I'm a coward."
"But you're here at this beautiful lake with me. You're not a coward like you think, Mary."
"So why do I feel like running away?"
"You said you gained your confidence back in your freshman year. How did you do that?"
"I got into singing, I got new clothes, I did everything I could to feel pretty."
"Then do whatever it takes to get your confidence back. I'd tell you you're beautiful but I know it won't change anything."
"But it means a lot coming from you. Maybe I'm being too hard on myself, I just knit pick all things I hate about my personality and body."
"You just have to embrace the way you are because no one can do it like you do, Mary. Your voice is incredible, your fashion sense is impeccable, your feelings are so damn amazing, and you're so fucking intelligent," I grab her hand, "you're beautiful and I hate that you don't see it."
"I'm not the only person who hates me, Sara and her friends hate me too."
"Because they hate themselves and project their jealousy onto you. I think you need to tell the principal on everything they're doing to you. They can't keep getting away with this."
"I'm going to get even more flamed for being a tattle tale, but this time in person."
"It's so obvious that they're all talk but no action. If it makes you feel more safe, I'll accompany you."
"It's not about whether I feel safe or not."
"Then what is it about?"
"I reported Sara to the principle but he didn't do anything in regards to it."
"That's so messed up. You did this in middle school?"
"Yeah. Even Jonathan presented himself as a witness but the principle didn't care at all."
"This time will be different, I promise you that. We're going to fight for justice."
"I'm done fighting. I just want this to be all over."
"The only way is to give Sara a lesson. I'm going to be here every step of the way, Mary. You're not alone."

Mary takes a deep breath. Please say yes please say yes.
"You promise to come with me?"
"Of course. I'm never going to leave your side."
"Thank you so much, she smiles, I appreciate you, a lot."
My thumb starts caressing her thumb. I'm still holding her hand. She looks down at our hands. We're not moving. I don't want to move. This might be the closest we'll ever be.
"I feel brave knowing that I'm going to make it out alive. Unlike Jonathan, you're actively sticking up for me."
"You gotta give him credit though, he also went with you to the principle. He even protested for you."
"I know, but he isn't the same person I fell for in 8th grade. He may be right whenever he tells me to not make things worse for myself, but I don't listen to him. There's a million reasons why I should care, but I always have to defend myself."
"And you still think you're a coward? You're so admirable."
Mary smiles at the ground. Her eyes shift to our hands. She's the girl they write songs about.
"Do you want me to take a picture of you? I brought my camera." Mary let's go of my grasp and reaches for her bag.
"Sure."
"How about in front of the lake?"
"Can you take my passport photo too?"
Mary laughs. "We can make it work."