chapter 20- lovers's saga

August 26th, 2019
Rachel's p/v
Today is the day I'm forced to see Tyler and Mary all lovely dovey. I made sure to dress extra nice. If I can't have Tyler then I can have my award for best dressed. It's my award.

I'm wearing my black long sleeve top with ruching, blue denim mini skirt, black high top converse, and my black mini bag. Darry took me shopping to try to lift my mood up. I also convinced him into letting me keep the skirt. This is what a broken heart gets you. Not worth it.

Tyler and Mary enter class while holding hands. Both of their outfits match. I should've seen it coming.

Mary is wearing a black halter top, dark blue midi skirt with white roses on the bottom, baby blue paisley bandanna, vintage 50s black MaryJane pumps, and a baby blue floral hobo bag. Tyler is wearing a black shirt, vintage dark blue football jacket, black 505 jeans, and all black high top converse. He has no bag on him. Sage told me she saw Mary waiting outside of the boy's locker so I'm assuming Tyler dropped stuff up. That should be me matching with him and waiting for him.

Mary pulls out Altoids mints out of her bag and pops one into her mouth. I can hear Tyler drumming on his desk. If only I had some sort of distraction. I left my phone in Darry's car. Stupid.
"What did you think of Madame Laurent?"
Tyler groans. "I hate that women. How can you stand her?"
"She said I'm her favorite. I don't really like her either but she's funny."
"She tries too hard to be funny. And I'm not surprised you're her favorite. You speak french really well."
"I grew up listening to french music from the 50s. My mother put me on good artists."
"Music is in your blood huh?"
"Yup. What about you?"
"I grew up on Red Hot Chili Peppers, Blink-182, Frank Sinatra, and Nirvana. I'm more of a 90s dude."

I also grew up on Red Hot Chili Peppers and Nirvana. My dad and I adore those bands. It's the only things we have in common. I hate to say it, but he put me on some good music too. But the sleepless nights where all I heard was Kurt's voice will forever haunt me.
"I grew up with bands from the 60s and 70s. My mother joined a country club and it changed her completely. She started listening to artists from the 50s. That's where I get my fascinations from."
"You dress in different decade styles."
"I try."
Barf. All I want to do is barf.

I'm in Spanish now trying to focus on the assignment with my dear partner Kyle, but I just can't get my mind off of Tyler.
Kyle lays his head on the table. "I regret taking Spanish."
"Can I ask you for some advice?"
Kyle looks up. "I don't really think I'm the right person you should be getting advice from, but sure. What can I do for ya?"
"I really like this guy, and I thought he liked me too. I always knew he somewhat had feelings for another girl but I still flirted with him because he was flirting with me. On Friday I saw him ask her out. How do you deal with the situation?"
"Ahah, that's a tough one. Maybe you should talk to him about how you're feeling. You don't deserve what happened to you so don't blame yourself for anything."
"He doesn't know that I'm aware of his relationship with Mary. I want to talk to him but I'm still very fragile."
"I get it. You should talk to him when you're ready. But maybe it's best that you leave things as they are, to avoid getting more hurt."
"Yeah, I'll heal a bit first. I want closure."
"Guys are assholes. They never know what they want."
I raise an eyebrow. "And you know because you're an asshole?"
Kyle blushes. "I'm bisexual. I'm into girls more but I dated a guy once. He broke my heart just like Tyler broke yours."
"You and me both. Thank you for listening to me, Kyle."
"No problem. We should probably go back to talking in Spanish or Mr. Fernandez will beat us up."
"Tienes razón." I say. He laughs. Kyle was right, some day we were going to get along. Today is that day.

Darry's p/v
I'm walking to the cafeteria for an apple. All I want is an apple. Not a burger or salad. An apple. I'm about to open the door when I feel a hand on my shoulder. I turn around to see who it is.
"Hey Darry."
I gulp. "Hey Lauren."
"Why didn't you reply to my question? You responded to everyone but me. Are you avoiding me?"
"No, it just took me by surprise. We haven't talked since our break up."
"I'm sorry if I scared you, it wasn't my intention. I've been reflecting on freshmen and sophomore year a lot. You were an important part in my life."
"You were an important part of my life too. I loved you a lot, Lauren. But because of the idiot I was I lost you. It feels good seeing you."
Lauren smiles. "I adored you, Darry. I just wish things could have been different. But they can't, so I'm here to extend our story. I want you back into my life, but as friends."
"I always thought ex's being friends was impossible. It's basically an unspoken rule. But I'd love to be friends with you."
"I'm happy to hear that. Can we hang out after school? I never got around to showing you my grandma's antique store."
"Holy shit that's true. I was so excited to check it out."
"Let's hang out at 7:40. I have work from 2 to 5 so the extra free hour is the time I use for homework."
"I get off at 7 so that works perfectly. Do you want me to pick you up?"
"Yeah, that'd be great. I can't wait to show you the place."
"Well I can't wait to see it."
Lauren smiles. "See you around, tater tot
I smile back. "See you around, sweet pea."