chapter 26- vintage boogers

August 30th, 2019
Rachel's p/v
I'm not supposed to care, but I do. Tyler and Mary entered class not holding hands like they normally do. They were talking to each other, but they weren't holding hands. Interesting. But it doesn't mean they're broken up. And if they are, why should it matter to me? It doesn't. I don't care.

Mary looks pretty today. Her outfit is a little simple, but not basic. Black and blue ringer tee, dark blue acid wash mom jeans, black high top converse with teal shoelaces, and a black tote bag with Marylin Monroe on it. The little details in her outfits like her rings and color coordination make the fit a 10. My outfit is reminiscent of hers, but very loosely.

I'm wearing a black shirt with a white rose, dark blue straight leg jeans, black high top converse, and my Kanken backpack. I have no rings on but I do have my turtle necklace. She doesn't have a necklace. I like the little details in my fit.
"Mary, I love your bag! Where did you get it?" Simone asks. She always wants to know where people get their stuff.
"Thank you! I got it on Poshmark."
"It's super cute. Where did you get your jeans?"
"I thrifted them."
"And your shirt?"
"Depop but the brand is Brandy Melville."
"Hopefully I can find those pieces."
Mary awkwardly smiles. "Um, yeah."
Simone sits back in her seat. Mary starts quietly giggling.
"What?" Tyler asks, also slightly giggling.
"No one can ever be original with their outfits. You know I don't like to boast about my style because other people have way cooler outfits, but some people always want to copy my outfits piece of piece. I just think it's funny."
"To be honest, your outfit today is pretty simple. I'm sure we can find at least 3 people wearing something like that."
"I'd like to see you try."
Fuck it.
"Our fits are matching." I chime in. Mary taps the desk with her fingertips.
"A bit, but that's like your everyday attire. I go for more bold and out of the box notions."
I roll my eyes. "You talk like you're debating 24/7. It's not that I'm dumb, I just think it's unnecessary."
"I enjoy speaking with a higher vocabulary. If my peers cannot keep up then that's on them, not me."
"It's not that they can't keep up, it's just dumb. Also, who cares if you go for bold outfits? I know a lot of people who do the same."
"But the difference is that they don't try to copy an outfit piece by piece. Fashion is subjective, but it's an art. You wouldn't copy Picasso's painting and call it yours, right?"
"Has it ever occurred to you that some people are poor and can't afford to wear new stuff every single day? If someone outfit repeats and happen to copy someone's outfit, it isn't their fault."
"Don't you dare try twisting my words. Who even invited you to this conversation?"
"I did. I have self-respect and opinions like everyone else."
"But you can't even accept other people's opinions? All you're trying to do is pick a fight."
"And all you do is play the victim card and use your boyfriend to fight for you. Weak."
Mary laughs. "Ok, I'm weak and I play the victim card. I can't play the game if I didn't sign up in the first place."
"Rachel, you claim you have self-respect yet you ran back to the guy who hurt you."

I turn around and frown. Why is Tyler making up stuff about me? Not once did that happen.
"Tyler, please don't bring that up." Mary says.
"No, let him speak. You wanna repeat that again? Go ahead, I wanna hear it a second time."
"Look, whatever you do with your life is none of my business. But please refrain from unveiling your hypocrisy. I don't even know why you guys arguing, but at least stick to your truths."
"Tyler-"
"Mary, please just be quiet for once in your life. If you wanna talk smart too then I'll contribute too because I don't like feeling left out. It's funny that you mentioned sticking to your truths because you're doing the complete opposite. When did I ever go back to a guy who hurt me? Using false arguments that you know are not true isn't helping your case. Morally, it's wrong. It's wrong in every culture."

Tyler doesn't say anything. Mary is just slumped in her chair, avoiding eye contact with both of us.
The bell rings. I put my notebook inside my backpack and stand up. I turn around to face Tyler.
"Never make shit up about me ever again. I may not have parents to defend me, but I know a thing or two about shutting down rumors. You don't want to see what I'm capable of."
"It won't happen again." He whispers.
I walk over to Mary's row. "And you, quit acting all quirky. You're not original."