chapter 13- starry night

August 15th, 2019
Rachel's p/v
Another day another lousy dollar. I have nothing to look forward to anymore. Tyler is completely taken over by Mary. And I hate to admit it, but I'm causing just as much damage. Ricardo asked me to be his girlfriend yesterday, and I said yes. I need to break up with him. But how?
"How were the kids? Did they like the movie?" Tyler asks me.
"Yeah, they loved it."
"Tyler, do you think I should wear my gold hoops or gold heart earrings? My father rushed me this morning so I had no time to accessorize." Mary says as she checks her makeup in her dumb tiny mirror.
"I don't know, the gold hoops are fine."
"You know how your mom took away your credit card? That makes two of us. My father took away mine for the week. I saw the cutest shoes on my favorite website but it was so painful to take them out of my cart."
"Instead of wasting your money on shoes, why don't you give it to kids in need?"
"My family and I donate $1,000 once a year to St Jude. Plus, I get good wear out of my shoes. It would be horrible if I never wore them."
"How many pairs of shoes does one person need? And don't tell me you're a collector."
"If you're not into fashion then just say so."
"No, I'm just realistic. You don't need to have 50 pairs of shoes to be into fashion. I admire from a far, but not from you."
"Funny you say that because your outfit is not color coordinated at all. I shouldn't even waste my breath on you."
"Yeah, please stop talking! You'll be doing us a favor."
Mary rolls her eyes. She takes a book out of her bag and chews on the tip of her pen. How does she a sexual appeal to her if she looks like a fucking 7th grader.

Mary is wearing a black tight fitted top with a red heart in the middle, white bell bottoms, black platform boots, and a cheetah print fuzzy bag. 90s chic? 90s ew.

Class has finally ended. I couldn't stand listening to Mary any second longer. Now I have to pack up my shit.
"Hey Rachel, are you still down to listen to Mazzy Star with me? I could show you my favorite songs from her."
"Um, yeah that sounds-"
"Rachel! Hey baby." Ricardo kisses my cheek. Tyler looks away.
I awkwardly laugh. "Oh, hey Ricardo. What are you doing here?"
"Just thought I'd come pick you up. I was thinking we could spend brunch together."
"See you, Rachel." Tyler says as he leaves.
"I was actually thinking about hanging out with Tyler for brunch today."
"With that guy? I don't see why you would want to hang with him."
"Tyler is my friend. I like to hang out with my friends."
"And you have every right to do so, but I just don't like Tyler. I think he's into you."

I start frantically coughing. Ricardo pats my back.
"Is there something going on between you guys? You can be honest with me, Rachel."
"No, why would you even think that?"
"Maybe because of the fact that you got nervous all of a sudden. Rachel, I've been lied to before, and I don't want to be lied to again."
"I'm not lying when I say that there's nothing going on between me and him. All we are are friends."
"You promise?"
"I promise."
Ricardo holds my hand. "Cool. Let me help you pick your stuff up."
"Thanks."
Fuck. my. life.

Choir has never felt so long before. Usually we fly by through class, but I swear we've been here for absolute ages. I can't wait to go home and sleep till the next day.
"I'm ending class a little bit early because I have a doctors appointment in a bit. Good work everyone! You may leave."
Heath runs to the center of the room. "Before you guys go, I wanna announce that I'm throwing a party at my house at 6 pm tonight. If you're interested, come see me for my address. You all are invited!"
Everyone cheers. I can seriously go for a party right now. I need all the distraction I can get.

Tyler's p/v
"Oh my gosh Mary, you look like a total doll!"
"Thank you so much Piper, but look at you! You do be looking rather hot."
"Thank you! Do you guys know if Rachel arrived yet?"
"Please don't even say her name, I'm afraid she'll actually come."
"I don't understand why you guys aren't friends. You two would make such a powerful duo."
"I rather befriend my 7th grade math teacher. Rachel has no manners whatsoever. She's also very mean to me."
"You're mean to her too." I say.
"I beg your pardon? Rachel causes me to act like her. You act as if you didn't know me BR. Before Rachel."
"Speaking of Rachel," piper smiles, "there she is."
I turn around. Holy smokes, Rachel looks like a goddess. She's the one who looks rather hot. I'm speechless, she's...wow.