chapter 24- daddy issues

August 28th, 2019
Rachel's p/v
"Who's your favorite singer?" Kyle asks me.
"Brittney Spears. How about you?"
"The Weekend. I just love everything about that dude."
I look at his classroom. "We're at your stop."
"Yes, we are, but I'm walking you to class."
I try to hide my smile. "You are?"
"What kind of guy do you take me for? Of course I'm going to walk you to class."
"I'll walk you to class tomorrow."
Kyle grabs my hand. "Deal." heart racing.

Mary's p/v
"Just because you agreed to match it doesn't mean I have faith that you want me."
Tyler groans. "Dude what else do you want me to do? You're so high maintenance."
"You know very well that I'm needy. Did you at least listen to the Spotify playlist I made for you."
"Mhm. The songs are nice."
I frown. "That's it?"
"Um, thank you for the playlist. I really do appreciate it."
"Yeah." I say. Everything happens for a reason, but what did I do to deserve this treatment? I can't pretend anymore. I'm tired.

"Is that Rachel and the asshole who hurt her?"
I look to where he's pointing. "That is them indeed."
"How can she go back to him? Why isn't Darry interfering."
"Darry has more things to worry about than focus on his sister's relationships. Plus, we don't know how stuff went down between them. For all we know he could have just insulted her favorite singer."
"Rachel wouldn't get all upset for that. I get why she feels the need to forgive him, but I wish she didn't feel that way."
"Her problem, not yours. Rachel knows what she's doing, and she's winning."
"Excuse me?"
I shove my hand into my jean pocket. "N-nothing. Um, why do you think she feels the need to forgive him?"
"Take this with a grain of salt. From a psychological point of view, the issues she had with her father deprived her of attention. Her concept of love is warped. She thinks whatever Kyle did to her is nothing major."
"I have issues with my father and you don't see me running back to the guys who did me wrong. To be fair, I'v never dated a guy who hurt me bad, but I don't worship my bullies or something."
"People react differently. I have a dead father and my concept of love is warped too. I get attached too easily."
"But not to me." I mumble.
"What?"
"Oh, nothing."
"Ok."
I can feel Tyler's hand loosen from mine. He's looking right at Rachel and that dude. And for a second I'm ok with it, but it's all hitting me. Tyler is attached to Rachel, and Rachel is attached to whoever pays her attention. Me? I don't get attached. The only person I ever got attached to was my ex. What Tyler and Rachel have is unspoken, but it's real. Darry won't even share a passing glance.

I let go of Tyler's hand. He doesn't react, he doesn't even grab my hand back. The night we were dancing under the stars was so special, but I'm afraid the spark is gone.

Rachel's p/v
Mary naturally has a soft and high pitched voice so she doesn't speak that loud, but right now she's practically screaming. The class is noisy enough to drown it, but she sits next to me so my eardrums are dying as I think. I'm not dumb, she's obviously trying to get my attention. For once I don't care about her or Tyler. But I did notice their matching outfits which I find actually kinda cute.

Mary is wearing a white long sleeve with a flower in the middle, light blue loose jeans, red converse, and a small pink One Direction backpack. Tyler is wearing a white long sleeve with a flame in the middle, light blue loose jeans, red converse, and a small Paw Patrol backpack. I always wanted to match with someone like that. Maybe one day I'll meet someone who wants to match. Sage refuses to participate.

I'm on my phone scrolling through Instagram. Mary did post a photo of Tyler on her story.