chapter 50-fool's mistake

December 5th, 2019
Rachel's p/v
I punch the door. "We're running late! Get out of the shower."
"Just wash your teeth in the kitchen sink."
"Yeah, like we have a toothbrush in one of the cabinets."
"I mean you never know-"
"Get out of the bathroom, Darrel."
"Fine."

I'm ready to leave the house, I just need to brush my teeth. Darry decided to shower and have a concert. Super annoying when he doesn't even have to get ready yet.

Today's outfit is ok. White crop top with an ocean graphic, black oversized cardigan, dark blue flared jeans, black docs, and my Kanken. Actually no, I hate this outfit. I hate it I hate it.

I open the car window. Tyler lied, he said it was supposed to be sunny today. What's this sharp breeze? I mean, we are in December I guess. At least the snow storm hasn't hit yet.
"Rachel, please button up your cardigan. It's really cold outside."
"I'll button it when I get out of the car."
"Promise me you will."
"I promise, Darrel."
"Also, please tie your shoe laces. I noticed they weren't tied when you entered the car. And would you stop calling me Darrel it's making me feel old."
"You're making me promise too many things!"
"Good."
I pull out my phone and go to the insta story. I might as well put a grey filter on after I take my selfie. I HATE the cold.

"Have you seen Charlie's new wheels

"Have you seen Charlie's new wheels. What being the son of a car mechanic entails."
"You're already a car mechanic, just have a kid now."
"I genuinely can't wait to have children. I get to teach them the wonderful world of cars."
"Buy me a G Wagon instead."
"Alrighty."
"Ok, but how can I not call you Darrel when you say things like alrighty!"
"What about okie dokie?"
"That's even worse!"
"Why did they think that my name should be Darrel. I'd like to know the reason."
"I like my name. I feel like a Rachel."
"I got stuck with such a basic middle name too. William."
"I absolutely love that my middle name is love."
"They chose that middle name because you were born on Valentine's day. Pretty basic if you ask me."
"At least my middle name isn't Jane."
"Are you talking about Mary? She doesn't have a middle name."
I frown. "What?"
"Yeah, her name is MaryJane but she goes by Mary."
"I feel so stupid now. Either way MaryJane is a basic name."
"Maryland and MaryJane, funny."
"You see my point?"
"I see it now. Names and middle names are funny. I like finding out about the story behind middle names."
"Tyler's middle name is the rarest of them all. No middle name either."
"Let's not talk about Tyler this early in the morning."
"Why do you hate him so much? He legit hasn't done anything to you."
"Not to me, but to you."
I roll my eyes. Jerk.
"Hey don't roll your eyes at me. I'm just trying to protect you."
"From what? Tyler isn't going to harm me. I'd like it if you guys got along."
"We use to be friends until he hurt you."
"Tyler looks up to you, you know?"
"What?" Darry says softly.
"He always talks about how great of a person you are. I don't see it but I let him talk about you."
"Well tell him to stop."
"Darry, he doesn't have a father and you know that. He looks up to you. The least you can do is be nice to him."
"I am being nice to him. I'm not saying bad things about him to people now am I?"
"But you never let me hang with him."
"Wouldn't have it any other way."
"If Tyler and I are going to be together then I'm going to need you to be friends with him again."
"Nope. You guys aren't going to work out. Just facts."
"Unbelievable. Yeah, thanks for the support!"
"No problem."
I open the car door and slam it shut. He just doesn't get it. His girlfriends have cheated on him. He doesn't want to get it.