chapter 93-learn to fly

February 4th, 2020
Rachel's p/v
I would be lying if I said I don't want to stay home. Declan gave me so much confidence yesterday, and for what? I'm fucking terrified of what Emma can do to me. Darry is driving me to school, but I have to walk home. I told Declan I wasn't going to change my life because of her but what choice do I have. If Darry won't defend me then I have to defend myself. If I can't fight back then I have to be smarter. Emma wants to tear me down. I won't let her.

Darry's p/v
"Rachel got into another fight. You said letting her audition for the dance team will make her feel better but I'm starting to think it's a mistake."
"Why? Because she got into a fight? Rachel is clearly struggling right now, Darry. Don't take this away from her."
"Mrs. Fuentes, you know better than I do. If I let Rachel get away with this she won't learn her lesson."
"Do you know why she got into a fight? Did someone provoke her?"
"All I know is that her ex friend said some things that made her react. I don't see how that's important."
"If she didn't start the fight then why should she be punished? All she was doing was defending herself, no?"
"By getting physical? There's different ways to solve conflicts."
"Sometimes all you can do is fight back. Let her audition, Darry. Don't take this away from her. You want her to open up to you? About the fight too?"
"Yeah."
"Then don't give her a reason to dislike you. I'm not saying you should dismiss everything she does, just try to understand why she does things."
"I'll try my best. Same time tomorrow?"
"Yup. Have a great day, Darry."
"You too, Mrs. Fuentes."
I hang up and look out the door. Rachel is in the car staring off into space. When did this little girl get so violent?

Mary's p/v
"Good morning, Jenns." I sit next to her.
"Good morning, Mary. Surprised to see you here early. Did Mr. Howard get back to you about the photography contest?"
"Yeah, he submitted my pictures. Took him long enough. I just hope he submits Darry's in time."
Jenna nods and looks off to the distance. Let me find out Kiker had something to do with her mood.
"Everything ok, Jenna?"
"I won't even attempt to lie to you, Mary. You know how Kyle and I partnered up for the assignment?"
"Yeah. Is Kyle being difficult?"
"No, on the contrary, he's really sweet. I told Kiker about the assignment and he did not like it one bit. I understand why though. He asked me to watch the film he made for his class but I plain vanilla forgot. I was occupied with Kyle trying to come up with a performance. When I explained why I didn't watch his film, he was bothered. He thinks he's losing me to Kyle? All because I forgot about his film? I don't know man, I think it's stupid."
"It is stupid. School work comes first. You can watch his film anytime."
"I just wish he wouldn't have the urge to compete for my attention. I love Kiker. No one will separate him from me. But his attitude is really disheartening. I thought he trusted me."
"Just let him throw a tantrum and then make things right. You're clearly in the right, but guys can be jerks. All you can really do is stand your ground but also remind me that you love him."
"If I knew moving to Maryland would be so hard I would've done everything I could to convince my mom to stay in Cali. I miss Kiker so much."
"Spring break is right around the corner! Well, it's in April, but time flies by fast. Maybe you can fly to Cali for a weekend?"
"If I had the money. I don't want to mope around anymore. Declan requested a soundtrack from me for his film so I gotta grab my notebook from my gym locker. Take care of my stuff?"
"For sure. I have eyes in the back of my head and on my heels."
Jenna smiles. "You're the best. Alright, I'll be right back. Feel free to play with my cameras."
"You know me so well!"
Jenna gets up and walks out of the library. Oh, her phone is ringing. OH! It's Kiker. You know what, I'm going to give this too a piece of my mind. No one hurts my friends.
"Hey, this is Mary, Jenna's friend. Who do you think you are to give her jealousy scene? Dude you shouldn't be angry at Jenna for doing her school work. She didn't choose Kyle over you, she's just prioritizing her work. So tone it down a notch and apologize to Jenna."
"Who the fuck do you think you are? Does she know you answered my call?"
"No, but-"
"It isn't any of your business, but since you love to play lawyer then how about I tell you how things really are. I asked Jenna to watch my film three days. So you mean to tell me that she's too busy to take 3 minutes out of her day to watch it?"
"Mary didn't tell me that part-"
"Then why are you attacking me? Stop putting your nose in other people's business and stop acting superior. That little pendejara you did to Rachel is beyond disgusting. People only want to live their lives yet you just can't accept that. You're not superior, you don't have the upper hand, nor do you stand on a higher moral ground. Leave me alone once and for all." He hangs up. Oh, wow.
"Mary! Do you like my new shirt?"
"Jonathan, I may have screwed things over big time."
He sits across from me. "Ok, what did you say to Darry this time."
"What? No, this is about Jenna."
"Ok, what did you say to Jenna this time."
"You're not funny. I'll tell you everything but if Jenna comes we were not having this conversation."
"But if it involves her don't you think she should know?"
"Yes, but I need advice first. Can you do that for me?"
"Of course I can. Tell me everything."