chapter 52-side effects

December 16th, 2019
Rachel's p/v
"Do you see those twinkling stars?"
I squint at the moon. "No, but look at that round motherfucker. I feel like a ghost just looking at it."
"It's a really pretty moon. I like to pretend that the moon spawns stars."
"Where do you see stars because I'm not seeing anything. This is just like December 7th all over again."
Tyler sits up. "Do you remember the night of December 7th?"
I sit up as well. "How could I forget. You snuck out your house just to see me."
"And I'll do it over and over and over again. Darry was so mean that day. You were so upset, and he couldn't just let me comfort you? He's-"
"A discriminator."
"Love, we've talked about this."
"Sorry. I just get so angry whenever I think about that day. Darry seriously ditched choir with Mary just to get some book signed. He made me take the bus on a stormy day too."
"And I wasn't able to give you a ride home. It was all so unfair."
"Hector and Declan chose the wrong days to be absent. At least you checked up on me and taught me how to admire the night sky."
"It's easy. I just picture the stars as you. The stars are so enchanting."
"My attraction towards you is getting stronger by the minute."
"I'm the happiest man on earth after hearing that," Tyler lifts up his coffee, "cheers to today because it's the last day that you're grounded!"
I clink mine with his. "Cheers. Technically, I didn't break any rules. You've only see me twice since December 6th."
"Outside of school. I could never live not seeing you at all."
"Aww, my sweet angel."
Tyler and I kiss on the lips. I sit in front of him as he wraps his arms around me. I extend my legs and let myself melt into him. Darry should be home any second, but I'm not going to move. I finally know what home feels like.
"Can I also have the photo of you in the blue button up?"
"The one in the pearl necklace you bought me?"
"Yup! Can I can I?"
I smile. "Yeah, I'll go look for it right now."
"Can I also have the photo of you eating cake?"
"You're pushing it."
"It was worth a try."
I hit send on the photo. Wow, Tyler was already in the chat.
"You're so pretty."
"No, you are you."
"I'm obsessed with you."
I rub his hand with my thumb. "And I'm obsessed with you."

I'm back in my room, looking through all the photos I took of Tyler tonight. Maryland has been long overdue of snow. I was hoping to be able to make a snowman with him but there's always next year. Wow, it's almost the end of the year. December flew by just like that. I have some of my favorite memories in my camera roll and Instagram feed, some better than others.

Tyler commented "RACHEL"

Tyler commented "RACHEL". Fan behavior. I took the photo on December 8th. We were chilling, looking through his Insta when I got the inspiration to post a shoe picture. Although I hate to admit it, Mary was the root of the inspiration. She was the inspiration.