chapter 54-la sirène

December 18th, 2019
Rachel's p/v
Darry opens the curtains, the light blinding my eyes.
"Today is going to be a great day. It's snowing but the sun is out, our neighbors are still asleep, it's our last day of school, and my eggs aren't burnt!"
"You forgot the salt."
"The salt! How can I forget?" Darry runs over to the kitchen and I follow him. He grabs the salt shaker and sprinklers some into the eggs. It slips out of his hand, the salt landing on my socks.
"Darry, that's bad luck! You just gave me bad luck!"
"Oh, don't tell me you believe in that stuff."
"Yes, I very much do! Just to make this loud, clear, and LOUD, you dropped it not me."
"How about you get ready. Change your socks if you're so cautious."
I run to my room and open my jean drawer. I pull out a pair of blue mom jeans. No, no no, there's a hole in the crotch area! I let out a screech.
"What what what happened?"
"My jeans have a hole in them!"
Darry takes a deep breath. "That's why you screamed?"
"I'm going to have bad luck for eternity!"
"Just grab another pair, you can go shopping for jeans later."
"No, I'm not even going to touch my drawer right now. Here, I'll get started on my makeup."
"You have 10 minutes so you better make it-"
I run past Darry, out shoulders bumping into each other. I enter the bathroom and pull out my eyeshadow palette I let out another screech.
"What now?"
I drop my eyeshadow palette on the floor. "There's a spider on it!"
"Then kill it?"
I run past Darry and hop over the couch. Ow, my elbow.
"Ok, it's dead now. 8 more minutes!"
"Fuck my make up, I need to fix my hair." I say as I enter the bathroom and grab my straightener. I start from the top. Darry bumps into my shoulder, the straightener touching my forehead. I let out another screech.
"Darry, you burned me!"
"I am so sorry. What do you need?"
I slam the door and rip off a piece of paper. I run the sink water and put the paper under it. I then put it on my forehead. Can this day get any worse?

"Hey, to make it up to you I'll let you wear Tyler's jacket."
I grin. "Really?"
"I guess, just-"
I run to to room and take off the jacket from the hanger. Fuck jeans, today's outfit is a dress kind of day.

My outfit should save me from any more bad luck. Dark green dress, black opaque tights, Tyler's vintage football jacket, my black docs, and my black mini bag. Beat that superstitions.

Mary's p/v
"Hey girly! It's been forever since we've talked."
I pout at Jonathan and then turn around. Serenity gives me a big hug.
"Oh, hey Jonathan."
"Sup."
"Mary, do you want to hang with me and my friend this morning? You and her would totally get along."
"I appreciate the offer but I'm hanging with Jonathan."
"Oh c'mon, I'm sure he has other people to annoy. Right, Jonathan?"
"Oh yeah, totally. All my friends are so annoying though so why don't I introduce you to them? You guys will get along."
Serenity smiles. "Funny. So what do you say, Mary?"
"My answer is still no."
"Do you know who Heather Acton is?"
"The girl who's in ASAB?"
"That's the one! I told her all about you. Heather really wants to meet you."
"She wants to meet me? In 7th grade she laughed along with everyone when my glasses fell into the fish tank."
"People change! Now is your opportunity to redeem yourself. It'll only be this morning. You can go back to your friend later."
"So now you're talking like I'm not here. Mary, these are the people you hang with?"
"Where are you guys going to hang out?"
"The quad, but first we're going to grab breakfast in the cafeteria. So what do you say?"
"I'll meet you guys in the cafeteria in a bit."
"You won't regret it, I promise! See you!" She walks away. Jonathan also starts to walk away but I pull on his arm. "Where are you going dummy."
"To hang with people who actually want me around."
"I'm not abandoning you because I prefer them. You know how much my reputation matters to me. I need to redeem myself in front of Heather. She's like the queen bees in movies!"
"I've talked to Heather before, she's a really nice girl. I just hate the fact that you're letting Serenity win."
"After this I promise you I will stop talking to her all together. Don't miss me too much, clingy."
"Clingy? You're the one with abandonment is-"
I cover his mouth. "Don't even."
Jonathan kisses my hand. I pull it away and shove him.
"Alright, I'll see you at brunch. We hanging at the library?"
"For sure. Wish me luck."
"Don't drop your glasses in your food now!"
I shove him again. Jonathan laughs and walks away. I knew today was the perfect day to pull out the 70s vintage jacket.