chapter 10-our destiny

August 12th, 2019
Rachel's p/v
Darry got a temperature yesterday so he missed work. He spent the entire day in his room and when he came out to eat and use the restroom, I quickly ran into my room. Avoiding people is my nature.

Sage's mom was kind enough to drive me to school. Darry is apparently coming a little later. For me he can stay home. I don't wanna see him. I can't see him.

Mary looks up from her phone. "Tyler, do you listen to Sweatcult?"
"No, but I've heard them. Why do you ask?"
"My cousin accidentally ordered the wrong t-shirt size and has no one to give it to. He said he's not looking to make money off of it, he just wants to get rid of it."
"Can't the artist do refunds?"
"Apparently not. I love Sweatcult but the shirt would fit me too big."
"Does Ricardo listen to them, Rachel?"
I shrug. "You should ask him yourself."
"I'd figured you'd know because you two are dating."
"I already told you that we aren't d-"
"Alright everyone we're going to get started with today's lesson. Please pull out your worksheet from Friday."
"Pst, Rachel," Mary whispers, "your outfit is cute but I think if you pair some platform boots it'll bring it to a whole other level."
"We aren't all fortunate and privileged enough to own a lot of shoes."
"You can find some at the thrift! I have great style so I can recommend you some places."
I smile. "How can that much stupidness fit into a tiny body?"
"Excuse me? Looks like someone woke up on the wrong side of bed."
"Nah, just tired of everyone."
"She was only trying to help."
I turn around. "If you have nothing important to say then don't say anything at all, Tyler."
"You're just jealous because our outfits are perfect." Mary says.
"Oh yeah because I'm so jealous of the girl who's boobs can't even fill in the shirt."
"I don't have to listen to this. Do I, Tyler?"
"If you don't want to."
"So why don't you keep to yourself? Just stop talking to her, Tyler. Not even worth getting in trouble for."
I roll my eyes. You know what, I don't regret what I said. I mean every word of it. Mary and Tyler are annoying me so damn much. Their outfits aren't even that good.

Mary is wearing a fitted beige long sleeve top with a bow detail in the front, blue acid wash loose jeans, white chunky shoes, and a black fuzzy bag. Pretty basic. Even my outfit is better, and I'm rocking pieces that were hand me downs.

I'm wearing a green dress, black high top converse that was gifted to me in foster care, and my Kanken backpack which wasn't gifted but was bought on sale. Mary says she thrifts but she can easily support ethnical business. I see that pearl necklace she's wearing. Tyler even complimented it. Apparently she bought it in London. She's just that rich.

Darry's p/v
I'm supposed to be in class right now but someone made the teacher lose his temper so he walked out. Hector and I are roaming around the school despite our classmate's wishes. I don't care if we get in trouble, I'm going to get some fresh air. There's a reason why I even came to school. I'm tired of my house, I need human interaction.
"Hey, isn't that Mary?"
I look to where Hector is pointing. "Yeah, that's her. Is she crying?"
"More like trying not to cry. Anyway, do you want to grab a drink from the vending machine?"
"You go ahead, I'm going to see what's wrong with Mary."
"But Rachel doesn't want you talking to her."
"Rachel acts like she can dictate who I can talk to. From what I've seen, Mary hasn't hurt her. It's all stupid teen drama."
"So let me get this straight; you forbid Rachel from seeing certain people who haven't done anything to you, but you hang out with people who clearly have beef with Rachel. It doesn't seem fair to me."
"You've got a point. I just don't like seeing people cry."
"Neither do I, but I'm not going to be a hypocrite. I'm sure Mary will be ok."

I look at Mary a little longer. She's got me in a difficult situation. Hector is so right but I feel for Mary. I hate me sometimes.
"Dude, I can't not offer support."
"Darry, don't you-"
I walk over to. Mary. She glances at me and then quickly wipes her tears.
I sit next to her on the bench. "Hey, is everything ok?"
"Yeah, I was just thinking about a sad movie."
"Sad movies don't make me cry, but I've seen an awful amount of depressing ones. Which one are you thinking about?"
"The one where the girl's best friend spreads lies about her."
"Is it based on a true story?"
"I wish it wasn't. You welcome someone into your life and they just break you. 5 years of friendship goes down the drain. She completed me, but I guess I wasn't enough for her."
"People leave, but that's not the end of your story. That's the end of their part of your story."
"But how can I let go our friendship? She means the world to me."
"Your friend walked out of your life. There's no use in wasting your time on someone who doesn't value you. You're going to miss them, but you weren't the one that gave up. She clearly doesn't appreciate your friendship if she made up lies about you."
Mary looks at me. Her makeup isn't effected by the tears. She's a pretty crier.
"I'm sorry I dumped all of this on you. I have no one to talk to."
"Not even Tyler?"
"Tyler is with his friends. Besides, I'm a very private person. It seems like I have to be more careful with who I let into my life."
"The wrong people are always going to slip their way through, it's inevitable. You just can't let them hurt you."
"I'll do that. My whole friend group turned on me. Just a bunch of wannabe skater girls who pose with monster drinks for the aesthetic."
"Good thing you're not their friends then. What was the lie your ex friend made up?"
"She told everyone that I got with her boyfriend. Her boyfriend slid into my Snapchat messages and I rejected him, but he convinced her that I flirted with him. He blocked me on Snapchat so all the texts are gone."
"That's so stupid. I'm glad you're out of that toxic friendship."
"Do you know who Joshua Gutierrez is?"
"Joshua Gutierrez...his name sounds familiar."
"I can show you a photo of him. He's on the soccer team."