chapter 25-lover's rock

August 29th, 2019
Rachel's p/v
I'm in math scribbling in my notebook. Mary's outfit blinded me to the point where I can't even look at myself. Who let me wear this out? I need Mary's stylist to approve of my fits too. It's probably her dad or something. It's always the rich dads.

I'm wearing a blue sleeveless top that doesn't even fit me anymore,  blue shorts, and white converse. The fit isn't bad, it's just not all that. Mary knows how to put together an outfit and I want her tricks. Why is she just so...Mary?

She's wearing a baby blue mini dress with embroidered flowers and a white tie detail, white go go boots, and a white fuzzy shoulder bag. She also smells really good, but not as good as my flowers. My babies are alive and well. I'm a good plant mom.
"Tyler, Mrs. Holt wants to know if we have any song recommendations for the Fall competition."
"Bohemian Rhapsody. That'll secure us the win."
"You think so? I was thinking Land of 1000 Dances."
"It's 3 songs per team, right? We can do Bohemian Rhapsody and Land of 1000 Dances."
"Perfect. I'll let her know right now."
Tyler nods. I wonder why Mrs. Holt asked them and not the rest of the choir. Whatever, I'm just itching to see Mary's face when Mrs. Holt tells her off about leaving me out of the group chat. She will pay.
"I really like your outfit, Mary!" The teacher says.
"Thank you! At least someone appreciates it." Mary looks at Tyler.
"Are you saying that I don't appreciate it?"
"I tried making it as obvious as possible."
"Just because I didn't compliment you doesn't mean I don't appreciate it."
"Well isn't that a job of a boyfriend? To compliment their girlfriend's appearances?"
"Yeah."
"So?"
"Whatever." Tyler mumbles. Hahah, trouble in paradise. Tyler should try gifting Mary flowers.

It's now brunch and I couldn't be any more happier. Kyle and I are sitting on the bleachers. And just my luck, Tyler and Mary are on the other side of the bleachers. But I honestly don't mind, with a face like Kyle's I'm going to need a megaphone to steal my attention away from his soft features.
"You look cute today. I love the color blue on you."
I smile. "Thank you. You're making me geek and shit."
"Then I'm doing a good job. How did you sleep?"
"Pretty nice actually. I had a dream I was floating in a pink sky. No thoughts, just pink sky."
"No wonder you left me on read. You were sound asleep like a little baby."
"What time did you go to sleep?"
"Around 2 am. I got the sudden urgent to clean my room so I did."
"I should probably clean my room. I applaud you for cleaning yours."
"How about you clean yours while on FaceTime with me? I can go on and on about my embarrassing childhood stories while you get your cinderella on."
"Because I'm poor?"
Kyle lets out a short laugh. He covers his mouth.
"I'm kidding, I know what you mean."
"Ok good because I was panicking a bit."
I laugh. "You're very interesting, Kyle Grant Jensen."
"So are you, Rachel Love Sandoval. Your middle name suits you."
"And your first name suits you. You're such a Kyle."
"Is that a good thing?"
"It's a very good thing."
Kyle smiles. "Your response let me know a lot of things. Would you like to hang out at lunch?"
"I'd love to but I have to finish my math test. Do you want to hang after school? I'm sure Darry won't mind it."
"Ah, I cannot. But I can meet up after your show choir thing. I have something to ask you."
"Why can't you ask me right now?"
Kyle takes my hand. "Trust me, let's save it for after school."
I hold his hand a bit tighter. "Deal."

Mary's p/v
Tyler and I have been sitting in silence for a while. Our conversations always end in silence. Although I'm an only child, I grew up with the ruckus of my male cousins and the laughter of my parents. Silence just isn't in my blood.
"The weather is nice." I say.
"Yeah, it's nice."
"It's nice weather for a picnic don't you think?"
"Yeah, I think so."
"Would you like to go on one after school?"
Tyler looks to the left. I also look left. It's Rachel and that guy.
I close my eyes. "Tyler, I asked you a question."
"Huh? Oh, yeah we can go on a picnic."
I open my eyes. He's not even looking at me.
"We can grab sandwiches at that one place that opened on main street. Does that sound good?"
"Yeah, sounds good." Tyler says, still not looking at me.
"Rachel and that guy look kinda cute together, don't you think?"
"Um, yeah I suppose."
"I wonder if she's into him. He's clearly into her."
"You think so?"
"If I didn't then I wouldn't be saying it."
"I just think he's out of her league."
"You probably think everyone is out of her league."
"Because everyone is out of her league."
"You sound like her boyfriend. Do you seriously think she cares about what you think?  She's probably going to ask him out or something."
"I doubt it. Rachel is-"
"Desperate? Hungry for attention from any guy that crosses her path?"
"Please don't say those things about her."
"Why? You're my boyfriend, not hers, so why are you defending her?"
"I just don't think you should be trash talking her. Rachel has done absolutely nothing to you."
"If you like her so much then why don't you ask her out? Heads up, she's going to reject you. You said it yourself, everyone is out of her league."