chapter 43-no shows

November 28th, 2019
Rachel's p/v
Jasmine and I have been drooling over Mrs. Avera's pancakes. Sage is used to her cooking so she isn't as excited, but me and Jasmine on the other hand, we're definitely going for thirds.

I remember the first day of 7th grade my dad was out of town. Darry couldn't take me to school because he was going to high school. Mrs. Avera offered to drive me to school. She picked me up early and took me to her house. Sage and I had so much fun getting ready. While we were playing with Sage's makeup, Mrs. Avera cooked us delicious chocolate pancakes, eggs, and bacon. I'll never forget that day.

"You girls are you going to be late!" Mrs. Avera yells from the living room.
"I just wanna skip today. I have a stupid math test." Sage groans.
"Ugh, same. Too much work."
"I know right? Like please a break would be nice." I run my hand through my hair.
"But I do want to get to school early. I have a couple of assignments I need to catch up on."
"Then lets bounce!"

I pulled together a super quick outfit with my new clothes. White crop top with a horizontal ocean graphic, dark blue flared jeans, grey puma sweater, my black docs, and my Kanken. My backpack doesn't match but it's what I got. Starting to regret buying it.

I'm in the cafeteria with Declan. I can hear Mary's laughter but I won't pay attention to it. Today is going to be a good day.
"In coming." Declan says. Mary and the same guy from the store walk past us. Mary throws her trash away.
"Declan, do you know who the guy she was with is?"
"I think his name is Jonathon?"
"How do you know him?"
"I don't, I just remember seeing him talking to Darry the other day. If I remember correctly, Darry called him Jonathan."
"Did you see Mary's fit? Super cool."
"I like yours better."
"Mary dresses like a literal model."
White silk cropped cami, vintage style red trench coat, black midi skirt with flowers, black docs, and a black mini shoulder purse with a Betty Boop graphic on it.  Literally a fashion runway model.
"She's always so extra."
"Would love to be styled by her."
"What if I style you?"
"Seriously? Bet."
"Get ready to wear suspenders and black t-shirts."
"Oh yippie." I sarcastically say.

Mary's p/v
"I went to Home Goods and found one of those boxes with the cool customizable words. I made the box say 'Stay gold ponyboy'."
Jonathan smiles. "You have to help me decorate my room. It's pretty basic."
"I can barely decorate mine. That's why I'm going to be more on active on Depop. I'm broke."
"I would support your lil business, but I'm not into your fashion. But maybe I'll help promote your account."
"You're the best."
"I texted Sara but she left me on seen. Hope she gets the memo that you're not alone."
"Darry said that he was going to text her too. I appreciate you guys coming together to defend me."
"Of course. Bullies suck, especially when they're targeting fucking innocent people. You've never done anything wrong to them or to anyone. You're awesome."
I smile. "Thank you, Johnny."
"What happened to John?"
"I'm back in my outsiders phase."
"That makes two of us. It's crazy that we met through that book. You asked if you can take a picture of me reading that book for the yearbook."
"You said yes, and I couldn't help but compliment your board."
"So then we realized we had English together and agreed to finish the book together."
"We've come a long way huh?"
"I'd say so. Thank God for yearbook and our english class."
"Thank God my mom forced me to join film club. We spent every single afternoon together trying to finish our assignments."
"You were the best director Pennyroyal had ever seen."
"And you were the best script writer. You should've been in Kid Flix! Mary the news anchor."
"No way, I'd stutter on my lines. You should've been the news anchor."
"Why don't we face our fears and ask to anchor for friday's show."
"Ok, but we have to be committed."
"Oh, I'm committed baby. So do we have a deal?"
I grab his hand and shake it. "Deal!"
Jonathan wraps his arms around me. I hug him tight. It's been so long since we've talked, so long.