chapter 70-ghost town

January 14th, 2020
Rachel's p/v
Last night Declan was about to tell me something important before his phone died. Hopefully he doesn't back out, the curiosity is killing me. He said he found out, but found out what? I think he's referring to Nancy. Did he find out who she really is? I seriously need to hurry up if I want these questions answered.

I'm wearing my black shirt with a plant on it, blue mom jeans, black/red puffer jacket I got from Sabrina's clothes of bag she gifted me, and my black high top converse. I'm also gonna bring my Kanken. Gonna pack a lunch today.

I already told Sage and Jasmine that I can't hang with them this morning. Luckily they both understood. They don't know about Nancy...yet. I just need to reassure myself that it isn't Mary. If it's actually Mary I'm going to be soooo embarrassed. An older brother betraying their little sister by dating their enemy. Am I that forgettable?

There's Declan. Oh that bitch, he's got a lot of explaining to do.
I sit next to him. "So?"
Declan frowns. "So?"
"You were telling me something before you were rudely interrupted."
"Oh yeah! About that, turns out my information was wrong."
"Wrong? Ok please explain from the beginning because you aren't making sense."
"I was looking through Darry's follows and followers and there was no Nancy. I checked the school's database and there was no Nancy in senior year. I thought I got it cracked that Nancy didn't exist, but then I found a Nancy in sophomore year."
"So you think it's her?"
"I'm not saying it's her, but there's a small chance."
"I'm not gonna ask her if she's dating my brother. That's just really awkward and if it's not her then it would be even more awkward for him."
"So what should we do next?"

What should we do next? I honestly can't think of anything. Unlesss...
"Wait-"
"Declan-"
We both gasp. Is he thinking what I'm thinking?"
"You go first."
"No, you go first."
"Ok ok, how about we say it at the same time?"
I nod. "On the count of 3."
"1, 2, 3-we look for Nancy at her job!"
Declan and I start laughing.
"Great minds really do think alike!"
"Yes, they really do! When should we go?"
"I can't today because Sophia and I are hanging
out. But how about tomorrow?"
"Perfect! And that's amazing that you guys are hanging out, it's about time."
"She knows how busy I can get. I don't turn down her plans on purpose."
"No, I know, but you need to learn how to manage your time. She's your girlfriend, not your friend that you see in the halls."
"Right, I'll try better. This is why you're the love coach and I'm the love healer."
"Love healer?"
"Whenever you're heartbroken I comfort you. Whenever I don't know what do you coach me through it. It's like we run separate businesses."
"That's a nice way to put it. You really shouldn't be listening to my advice though."
"Then what are all those lectures for?"
I lightly push him. "Because you genuinely need them. I'm surprised Sophia hasn't broken up with you yet."
Declan smiles. "Yet." Who understands this kid?

Mary's p/v
Darry is underneath the bleachers. We agreed to make this our secret hang out spot. I never see Rachel or Declan down here anyway.
"Hey you."
He smiles. "Hi."
"Do you like my outfit today?"
"I love it, Mary. You look beautiful in brown, but aren't you cold?"
"I never get cold. I may have allergies but that will never get in the way of my outfits."
"How do you come up with them? I just grab whatever I see first."
"I usually plan them right before I drift to sleep. Sometimes I have to change my whole plan because it turned out to be uglier than I imagined."
"You have never worn any ugly outfits. Your fashion sense is so unique that everything just seems right."
"Never? It's obvious that you never saw me in 8th grade."
"8th grade Mary! There is no way you had an awkward phase. I swear you were aesthetic since birth."
"Oh really, you think so? Want me to tell you an outfit that I wore in 8th? I'm giving you a cringe warning in advance."
"Do tell."
I smile. "It was my birthday. I wore a sleeveless pink top, vintage yellow and white striped high waisted shorts, and my white buffalo shoes."
"That is not ugly whatsoever. You're crazy." He boops my nose.
"What? That was totally ugly! The worst outfit I have ever worn."
"You wanna hear about ugly? I use to wear my leather jacket 24/7. Now that was ugly and cringy."
"Nope. You look amazing in your leather jacket. But I do prefer your beige jacket."
"You see! The leather jacket was the old Darry. I'm starting to dress like your average Christian dad."
I lean my head against his arm. "Even if you're starting to dress like a dad, it doesn't matter because you literally rock anything you wear. That precious smile of yours outshines any bad outfit."
"So if I showed up with a green tight jumpsuit and heels you'd still find me attractive?"
I nod. "The most beautiful boy in the entire world."