36- Captain of Hearts

[[ I do NOT own the art or music. Please enjoy this chapter - L RANDY ]]

· · ─────── ·𖥸· ─────── · ·

{KAZUMI}

It was after dinner; the sun had already set, and everyone was getting ready for bed. The Scorched Bones has been out at the open sea for three days now, inching closer to Kori every second.

Alana stood solitary on the stern of the ship, in the same spot she stood when she first arrived on the Scorched Bones, watching the water settle in the wake of the ship. Kill the King, kill the Queen... but what then? Can I become a queen? Alana thought as her thumb stroked the bandages around her shoulder.

"How are your wounds?" A deep, silk-like voice startled Alana.

"Oh! Kazumi, you scared me," She chuckled.
I did not even hear him walk up.
"They are fine." She nodded looking back to the sea.

"I am pleased to hear," Kazumi sauntered to stand beside the girl.

Alana took in a deep breath of the fresh air and released a sigh.
"Do you hate Taycia only because of inequality and poverty?" She dared to ask.

Kazumi did not look down at her, but she could see he had thoughtful eyes staring into the depths of the ocean.
"I cannot say those are my only reasons, no." He finally answered.

She took a small gulp.
"May I ask why, then?" She moved her hands together to begin to wring them, nervous.

"I would rather you not." He simply replied. "All I will say is that the Royals of Taycia are the scum of the kingdoms, and I will kill them all for what they have done."

Alana's heart tightened in her chest, threatening to give out.
"All? Surely the prince and the princess are not at fault." She tried to reason.

"Prince Amun has become a gracious, respectable King of Ekapan, he is no longer Taycian," Kazumi explained harshly. "The princess remains a part of the Taycian royal family."

Alana bit her tongue, all the things she could lash out and say would do her no good. She knew she needed to play along for her forming plan to work.

She let out a nervous giggle. "Such heavy conversation after dinner isn't good for digestion anyway," She smiled trying to change the subject. "I apologize."

"Do not be sorry, Alana." Kazumi placed his hand on her head without looking, surprising her.
"You have nothing to apologize to me for."
His golden eyes finally shifted down to meet her large brown eyes. She was entranced by their golden shade once again, feeling her heart thumping against her ribs as a soft blush burned under her cheeks. Love?

"Oh!" Alana perked up, with a cheery smile.
Kazumi watched closely, removing his hand, as she reached into her cardigan pocket.
"I made you this!"
Her smile grew as she handed a patch to the surprised captain. He took it from her carefully, his own heart now pounding as he never received a gift before, especially one made by the woman he has sworn his heart to.

He looked down at the fabric, it was the deep red cloth he had picked out himself at the fabric tent.
Did she know this was the fabric I selected? Or does she know me that well? Perhaps it was just luck.

"Turn it over," Alana giggled observing with hopeful eyes, hoping that he would love it.

Kazumi flipped the fabric over in his hands; his eyes and his breath caught in his throat.
Did she make this?
His golden eyes traveled over the embroidery in awe. A glimmering sunflower stared back at him, with dark green intricate leaves swirling from under it. He ran his thumb over the tight thread of the petals, and a smile touched his lips.

Alana's heart stopped in her chest.
Did he smile? He smiled!
Alana stepped closer to see the small grin on Kazumi's lips that eased back to his neutral state so quickly Alana almost thought she imagined.

"I adore it," Kazumi flatly said. "I will treasure it forever."

Alana felt a goofy grin forming on her face before she could hold it back. "I am so happy!"

"You did not have to make me something with your gifts, they were for you to use for yourself," Kazumi started carefully placing the fabric in his pocket, almost afraid she would take it back at his words.

She just smiled softly.
"I don't have any way to show my gratitude to all of you, words cannot express it. So, I hope you will let me use my gift to show you how much I love all of you." She said quietly looking back to the water.
He did not respond, just let her words sink in with the feeling of peace washing over him.

"You know," She began again, he looked down at her profile. "This is where I was standing when I first came on board."
She laughed, gently tapping the banister of the stern.
"I was quite clueless back then; I do not know what I was thinking of walking onto a strange ship." Alana looked distant, as she spoke almost in a whisper.
"But I am really glad I became your prisoner, Kazumi. I have never felt like I belonged anywhere more than I do when I stand beside you and Ivo and the brothers." She confessed to him.
"I -- even if I can't help but feel in the way, I never want to leave your side."
But I am going to have to one day.

"Alana..." Kazumi muttered.

Alana looked back up to the Captain but was surprised by soft lips melding into her own as Kazumi caressed both her cheeks.

Alana's eyes went large, her brain shut down and all that kept her going was her wild heart. Kazumi softened the kiss, allowing himself the pleasure of simply feeling Alana's lips against his. Alana slowly closed her eyes, the tension fading from her body, and kissed her imprisoner back. I will not let myself regret this...

Those words, those perfect words were all I needed to hear. 'I never want to leave your side'. I love this woman; I love Alana with my whole being and I need to prove it to her. I will never let you leave my side, never. You do belong with the demon crew of the Scorched Bones; you belong to us. You are mine, Alana.

Kazumi gently broke the kiss, hating to part from her sweet lips.

"I love you," Kazumi whispered with a soft kiss to her cheek. After his confession he left a frozen Alana to think about what just happened, retreating to his room for the night.

Alana stumbled to the side, catching her weight on the banister of the ship. She raised a hand to her forehead to calm her raging thoughts then slid it down to her lips. She traced her fingers over the ghost on Kazumi's kiss as she looked up at the moon.  I am such a selfish woman...

"I... I love you, too." She whispered to the moon.