81- Read the Room

It was early the next day while the crew busied themselves with prep for the next stop, the last stop. Alana had spent the better half of the day prior embellishing the patches she made for the pirates on whatever they brought her.

Ivo chose his ivy vines to be added to the hilt of his sword, as well as Leopoldo. However, Kazumi opted to have his sunflower sewn to the inside hem of his captain's coat.

It took a few hours for her to complete, not that it was hard work but perhaps she was being more meticulous than needed, she wanted them perfect. She found comfort in the busy work as well, having her mind drift away from the raging troubles in the forefront, even if it was just to sew flowers to things. She had begun to feel stir-crazy, sitting or standing around all day for months, Kazumi refusing to let her help with any real work. Alana finally felt like she wasn't in the way and belonged on the ship as she worked on their items, and now she couldn't get enough.

"Please, Kazumi?" Alana pleaded.

"No." He replied quickly and plainly. 

"Please?" She begged immediately once more.

Who would've thought begging for chores would be met with such resistance?

"I have nothing suitable for you to do, Alana." He finally turned his golden gaze down to her, soaking in her pleading expression.

"Scrubbing the deck?"

"Henry is already doing that."

"Cleaning the mirrors?"

"Already done." Kazumi almost shrugged.

"Cleaning the cannons?"

"Alana, be realistic." Kazumi almost shuddered at the thought of her near the cannons.

"I'm just so bored..." Alana whined. "And I feel like I'm in the way while everyone works so hard."

Kazumi's eyes traveled her features as she peered out at the deck, watching the crew rush around and aid in the journey. Her countenance was saddened and longing, it made his heart squeeze at the sight, knowing he could change that. Alana was never one to argue or whine to begin with, he knew it was out of her character. By that measure, he could tell just how important this was to the young woman.

"Fine..." He spoke softly. "Leopoldo is sorting through land maps in the study, supposedly." He was sure to add.

Alana perked up immediately her kind smile returning once again like phoenix from ashes.

"He is supposed to be finding a map to the capital through the Taycian forests. You may go assist him with that."

Alana's brows pulled in. "I thought you already had that map?" Alana thought back to all the times Kazumi held the parchment in his hand.

"I do, but there is an older, personal version Goa kept, it highlighted the path with the least foot traffic. The map I have is a general area, no telling who or what is waiting on the trails it details."

"Are you worried we'd run into trouble?" Alana mused.

Kazumi's brow twitched. Worried? Does she think so little of me?

"It's not the trouble you may be thinking of. We are running on a tight schedule. Any hold-ups or anyone slowing us down cannot be tolerated. It'd be simple enough with the four of us, but as you'll be joining it is best to avoid highly populated villages or terrain you won't be able to traverse." 

If there were trouble, we could certainly take care of it, however, I think we've exposed her to too much violence in a short period. She'll become like we are, numb, to the idea of carnage. I cannot have that for her. That, or have her fear us.