𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟑𝟐

THERE WAS SOMETHING ABOUT GYM that used to deter me. I hated the class with every fibre of my being so much so that I went to extreme lengths to either skip or not take part. Exercise never used to appeal to me and for some reason, whenever I did do it I usually struggled. My explanation for it was that whatever the hell was going on in my body made me a severely unathletic person but as of late my explanation was on its way to becoming inaccurate.

Derek's first step in teaching me to defend myself was building on my strength and endurance. In his words he could teach me to pack a good punch but said punch wasn't going to be very effective is there was no power behind it. It made sense but working on my endurance wasn't something I particularly wanted to do until I realised having the skills would be pointless if I didn't have the strength to execute them.

This was the where my participation in gym came in to play. Derek could only help me so much, the rest I had to do myself and exercise was one of those things. So when gym rolled around today I headed to the girls locker rooms and got changed while listening to Lydia talk about a Prada jacket she saw on sale at Macy's on Saturday. I was quiet as I listened to her, swapping my tights and dress out for a pair of Nike running leggings and a matching black zip top.

"Wait, Alex, you're joining?" Lydia said then, stopping her raving about the jacket to glance at me, "Are you feeling okay?"

Allison peered forwards to look at me too, "I thought you were exempt from gym on medical grounds?"

I furrowed my brows, "No ones exempt from gym on medical grounds." I told her, "I just always have an excuse handy as to why I can't participate."

"So what's changed?" Lydia asked me as she hung her green dress up in her locker, "Why are you joining now?"

I shrugged, "Let's just say I'm building up my fitness."

Lydia took my answer but one look over her shoulder at Allison and I could tell that she did not. It didn't bother me but she knew I wasn't telling the truth, I could tell by the way she was furrowing her brows at me quizzically.

Before she could say anything coach banged on our door before his voice bellowed, "Come on ladies, we haven't got all day! It's only a 50 minute class." 

Lydia closed her locker door and turned to us, "Let's go then."

The three of us headed into the gym, the boys having already made it inside and we moved to join the huddle coach had created, the rest of the girls from the locker room following us. Coach looked around to count us all and I noticed the big rock climbing wall set up in the middle of the gym. Clearly that's what today's class would entail.

I was sidetracked when coach spoke though, calling my surname, "Anderson. Are my eyes deceiving me or are you actually in your kit."

While everyone turned to me I only rose my brow, "No, coach, unfortunately they're not."

My response elicited a series of snickers from my classmates and I caught both Scott and Stiles grinning at me.

Coach nodded in astonishment before saying, "Well, shoot me in the knee and call me cupcake."

Lydia glanced to me and I met her gaze fleetingly, shrugging as her brows furrowed in confusion and the both of us turned back to coach.

"Well, I think the climbing wall is pretty self-explanatory." He said to us all, "We should have time for two climbs each granted none of you chicken out at the top — Greenberg, I'm looking at you, buddy." As the class turned to look at Greenberg, coach clapped his hands together, "So who's first?"