𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟐𝟎

"THE KITCHEN." Stiles said to us quickly, thinking on his feet. He didn't take his eyes of the rattling door as a bolt fell out and hit the floor, "The door out of the kitchen leads to the stairwell."

"Which only goes up!" Scott rushed out.

"Up is better than here."

"He's right." I nodded in agreement. My palms started to sweat again from anxiety, "We need to go."

Jackson made a beeline for the door first and the rest of us followed him, running through the kitchen before we came to the door Stiles was talking about. We piled through it quickly, the sound of the doors in the cafeteria bursting open giving us all the motivation to run a little faster.

The six of us dashed up the stairs and out into the first floor corridor, running partially blind amongst the darkness as we hurried to try doors that lined the hallway. We twisted the doorknobs but it seemed all the doors had been locked until Lydia finally came across a small amount of luck. She opened the door to one of the classrooms and ran in, holding it open for us all to pass through before Scott ran in last and shut it. He picked up a chair and put it under the door knob at an angle to stop the door from being opened from the outside.

There was silence in the room as no one dared say a word, the only thing we could hear was the sound of our own heavy breaths. I tried to keep quiet as I heard footsteps outside the classroom, a low and distant growling reverberating off the walls.

I couldn't take it anymore and in my fear I wrapped my arms around Stiles quickly from his side and I buried my head into his neck. He responded by wrapping his arm around my waist tightly, holding me protectively in place until the growling stopped and the Alpha had passed. Once he had I took my head out of the crook of Stiles shoulder but I stayed close to him.

"Jackson, how many people can fit in your car?" Scott asked him quickly while keeping his voice low at the same time.

"Five, if someone squeezes on someone's lap."

"Done." I replied, "I'll sit on your lap if it means getting it out of here." I added pointedly but Jackson only scowled at me.

"Five?" Allison whisper yelled, "I barely fit in the back."

"It doesn't matter. There's no getting out of here without drawing attention to ourselves." Stiles told us.

I almost wanted to snap at him for being so pessimistic but what he was saying was the complete truth.

"What about this?" Scott suggested, walking over to a locked door and we followed him, "This leads to the roof. We can go down the fire escape to the parking lot in, like, seconds."

"That's a deadbolt." Stiles shot down.

All of our ideas — or rather Scott's ideas — were good ones but they were ones that wouldn't work.

I watched Scott as he tried to come up with another plan and saw as his eyes lit up, "The janitor has a key."

"You mean his body has it." Stiles said to him.

"I can get it." He replied before lowering his voice even further. I was stood more towards the side of Lydia than what I was the side of he and Stiles so I didn't catch what he said afterwards until he walked passed Stiles, "I'm getting the key."

I turned my body as he passed me and rose my brow at him, "You—you're getting the key?"

Stiles came up behind me and huffed quietly under his breath, "He's getting the key."