𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟒𝟗

FOR-WARNING; descriptions of identifying the deceased and mentions of hopelessness and depression..

I DIDN'T THINK IT COULD'VE GOTTEN ANY WORSE until Deputy Tara told me she needed me to identify my dad. From the way Melissa looked at me I knew it would be him, she had that look in her eye that screamed 'I'm sorry you have to do this' and it only made me more reluctant to get up out of my chair. My entire body was shaking and my legs felt like jelly. I honestly didn't feel steady enough on my feet and my head swirled viciously as I followed Melissa down to the mortuary. 

I wasn't sure why Melissa couldn't just identify my dad — why I had to be the one to do it. I wasn't even biologically related to him but whether Deputy Tara knew that or not I wasn't sure. I didn't even know if it would make a difference, I was as good as family at the end of the day.

When Melissa pushed the mortuary door open I hesitated outside as she and Deputy Tara walked in. The both of them turned back to look at me as I swallowed hesitantly, an overpowering chemical-like smell filtered through my nose and sinuses making my eyes water before I was hit with a wretched smell. It was faint but it was disgusting and it was what I could only assume to be the smell of death. The chemicals — whatever they were — were obviously used to overpower the natural scent of a decaying body and it was something that worked for the human nose but the supernatural one? Not so much.

My stomach churned as I forced myself inside the small windowless room. I tried not to look at the cold lockers they kept the older bodies in but I didn't want to look at the three metal tables lined up with white sheets draped over them either. I wanted to be sick.. this experience was horrifying.

Melissa placed her hand on my back but she didn't force me forwards. She allowed me to walk on my own as she pointed to the table at the far end of the mortuary. I swallowed firmly as I made my way over and Melissa stood opposite me at the head of the table. Deputy Tara stood next to me though she kept some distance and I looked to Melissa and nodded once to let her know I was ready.

As she reached for the white sheet I found myself closing my eyes, taking a deep breath through my mouth to avoid the faint but gut-wrenching scent before I exhaled. I opened my eyes slowly as I looked down to the body on the table.

A shiver ran up my spine as goosebumps overcame my entire body. My dad looked so peaceful, almost as if he was just sleeping and all I could think about to get me through this was that at least he was with my mom now. The two of them could finally enjoy the time they were supposed to have together when we moved out of this shitty town. It was the only thought that stopped me from completely breaking down.

I'd just started to overcome Stiles and I's break up and now I felt as if I was taking ten steps back. I wasn't grieving over a relationship anymore I was grieving over my dad — a person. So my dad and I mightn't of had the best relationship, it might've been strained and I might've told him I hated him a few times but that didn't mean I didn't love him deep down. He was my dad, regardless of DNA. He raised me as his own child and even if his methods were questionable after the fire I now had the first nine years of my life and our relationship to reflect on.

It hurt... much more than what I'd ever anticipated it to because it made me realise just how much I still loved my dad even after everything we'd gone through.

I covered my mouth with my hand and nodded, looking away from him as my eyes burned from the tears rising to them. Melissa covered him over again with the sheet and Deputy Tara placed her hand on my shoulder comfortingly, "It's him?" She asked me.

"Yeah." I choked out before swallowing the lump in my throat, "Yeah, it's my dad."

"I'm sorry, sweetheart." She said to me then, "That must've been difficult for you."