𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟕

I ALWAYS KNEW CHEMISTRY WAS BORING but I didn't know it was this boring. I could barely even keep my eyes open as I leaned on the table I shared with my partner for this semester. All I knew was that I was glad we were sitting at the back because it was much easier to try and nap when you were sitting at the back of the classroom.

"Hey?" My partner asked me. His voice was quiet as he called to me but we didn't have to be silent. To be honest we hadn't shared many words since we'd been paired together, I got the impression he was shy.

I looked to him and nodded once, "Hi?"

"Are you planning on doing the work?" He asked me, "Because this class is a joint effort and I don't really plan on failing."

I nodded slowly, "Yeah, okay."

He nodded too, seemingly happy that I was going to make an effort to start doing the work. He looked away from me and back to his worksheet and I saw he'd filled in half of it already.

"I'm Alex, by the way." I introduced myself to him. It was a couple of weeks too late but honestly who cared.

"Yeah, I know who you are." He replied, looking up to the board and answering the question, "You hang around with Jackson and his clique."

I shook my head, "Not true." I said to him.

"Oh." He replied but he sounded sarcastic, "Every time I see you you're with them."

I rose my brow at him, "I'm friends with Lydia and Danny, all right?" I said to him, "And besides, I shouldn't have to justify who I hang out with."

"Okay." He nodded simply.

Oh, god was he for real? If this was the case I could see us working together being a disaster. He was so nonchalant, like he genuinely didn't really care about anything besides passing this class. I mean, I got the want to pass but he didn't have to be dismissive.

"You're very.." I searched for the word, pressing my tongue to the roof of my mouth, "Blunt?" I suggested.

"Yeah?" He asked me. He turned to me, blue eyes meeting mine, "That's nice."

"Oh my god." I groaned, leaning forwards in exasperation, "Can't you just at least pretend to like me? That way passing this class will be a lot less insufferable for the both of us."

"Who said anything about me disliking you?" He asked me with an arched brow.

I swear if I was in a cartoon my eyes would've fallen out of my head in frustration.

"I'm so confused." I exhaled.

"Nice to meet you confused, I'm Isaac." He introduced himself to me.

"Okay." I nodded slowly, "Hi, Isaac."

He chucked under his breath, "You look so confused."

I nodded in agreement with him, "Yeah because I thought you just genuinely didn't like me."

"Do you have a problem with people not liking you?" He asked me curiously.

"No." I shook my head, "I couldn't care less if someone liked me or if they didn't. It's just when you're judging me about my friends who aren't even my friends and then—" I cut myself off before sighing, "—Let's just start over, okay?"

"Sounds good to me." He replied.

"So you're Isaac, I'm Alex, we're lab partners." I said.

"And you hang around with the lacrosse captain and his clique but you're not actually friends with them." He nodded.