𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟓𝟗

LOSING CONTROL OF YOUR OWN BODY WAS TERRIFYING. I was stuck in what I could only describe as a coma. I couldn't even move my fingers or open my eyes. The only thing that I had some form of control over was my hearing. I could still hear everything going on around me, even the remnants of the destructive storm that had caused this town nothing but chaos as it settled down into nothing. The occasional but distant rumble of thunder was almost nothing — especially with the twins standing somewhere close to me, their voices loud and frantic.

What was even scarier was the fact that I could physically stand back and see everything that was going on in a different form. I could see me lying on that table, my head resting on Stiles' coat as my eyes remained closed and I remained unmoving. I could see just how deathly pale I was, the black tinge around the outside of my parted lips as my irregular breaths passed through them.

It was like my soul had parted from my body which left me with the impression that I was so very close to death.

The two of my closest friends didn't leave my side and they pleaded Deaton for help, something I never thought I'd hear them do. I had forgotten this side of the twins because since their sudden and unexpected move to Beacon Hills all we'd done really was clash heads. They'd been there for me the night Stiles and I had broken up and Aiden had offered me help in regards to bettering myself as a werewolf but I'd never had the opportunity to take him up on that .. but apart from that we'd been fighting for opposing teams.

I knew the twins better than anyone else in this town though and I knew that they weren't complete assholes all the time. Like everyone else they had a soft spot. I'd seen it many of times when we lived in San Francisco and I'd called them one night crying because I'd gotten into a fight with my dad or I'd had a night terror about my mom dying in the fire.

I'd never heard them sound so worried before though. They were desperate as they spoke to Deaton and I couldn't help but think that they'd chose the right path.

As I laid there my breaths grew even more laboured and my body ached from the pain. I could still feel everything even though I wasn't in my body — if that made sense. I saw as Aiden took my hand lightly and laced his fingers in mine and I felt it too. I felt as a small portion of my pain was taken away while his other hand thread through my hair delicately. He gently massaged my roots, brushing his thumb over my forehead occasionally.

"What can we do?" Aiden's voice echoed closely in my ear. I saw the fear that resided on his face and the slight gloss in his eyes. He and Ethan were ever so close to tears.

It was so bittersweet to see. I'd never seen them so concerned and scared and while it warmed my heart that they cared so much about me I wished it hadn't come to this. I wished we weren't going through this.

When I felt a hand slip on to my shoulder I knew it was my mothers but I didn't turn back to look at her as she squeezed. It was a reminder that I was treading dangerously on the line between life and death.

"It's something I've heard." Deaton said as he spoke to the twins above me. He stood opposite Ethan as he rested his hands on the table by my legs and he looked to the twins deeply, "Only an Alpha can do it. You know how normal wolves never abandon an injured member of the pack. They care for it. They bring it food from a kill and then regurgitate it into the mouth of the injured wolf. They even give it physical and emotional comfort by intensely grooming it. In a way, they can do more than just ease pain. They can be instrumental in healing their own. Now, there's the idea that this can be applied to werewolves too. That that pack can play a part in healing the werewolf back to life."

"But Alex isn't in our pack." Ethan said to him.

Deaton shook his head in agreement, "No, but I'd be right in assuming the three of you are exceptionally close .. almost like family?"