𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟔𝟏

GETTING FROM THE LOFT TO THE ANIMAL CLINIC WAS A BLUR. The only clear memory I had was the array of emotions that consumed me as Cora drove. The possibility of the twins surviving made my heart race but their unresponsiveness and the blood that trickled from their mouths diminished my hope. Would they survive or were they just suffering? My mind wasn't really working, it was like I was running in overdrive. The adrenaline that coursed through my veins allowed me to continue going on autopilot — or at least it did until we got to the animal clinic.

I almost broke the glass in the door from knocking on it so hard. I vaguely remember seeing Deaton's face through the glass before I ran to the Jeep to help Cora with Ethan. The veterinarian rushed out to our aid and he took Ethan over his shoulder and ran into the clinic with him, lying him down on the table.

I'd noticed in our absence he'd had the time to rearrange the treatment room again though I feared now we'd just undo all his work with the chaos we were about to instil upon him.

I remained in the back room with Ethan as Deaton went back outside to bring Aiden in. He had him slung over his shoulder and it was then that I truly noticed how strong he must've been.

Lydia and Cora followed him in and Deaton pointed over to the spare table pushed up against the wall, "Cora, grab that table."

I watched as she swiped everything that resided on top of the table on to the floor, messing it up again. She pulled it out from the wall and towards Deaton as he began to lower Aiden on to it, "Hold his head."

"Hang on." Lydia mumbled softly as she reached out to help from the opposite side.

Deaton placed him on the table and as I looked over I saw the droplet of blood that rolled from his mouth.

"Can you save them?" Cora asked Deaton then.

"Only if they start healing on their own." He responded.

"How do we do that?" Lydia panicked, "Can we help them in any way?"

"Normally the only way to trigger the healing process is by triggering the healing process." Cora said to her.

Lydia looked between us all, "So..?"

"We break their bones." I mumbled uncertainly, holding Ethan and I's intertwined hands to my mouth and pressing a kiss to the back of his hand.

"I'd like to hope they can heal on their own." Deaton said to us, "Though if we have to."

"I can't help but feel like this is partly my fault." I said aloud then before I looked up to Deaton, "If they didn't heal me they would be fine."

"We don't know that, Alex." Deaton reassured me.

"They're not getting any better." I choked out then, "Look at them."

Deaton continued to look at me for some seconds before he exited into the store room. I didn't know where he was going and I didn't shout after him either but when he returned with two cylinders of oxygen I understood what he was doing.

He passed one of the masks to me and I slotted it around Ethan's face, holding it over his mouth and nose as Deaton turned it on. He rummaged through the drawers and pulled out a vial and a syringe before attaching the needle to the end of the syringe.

He drew the drug up quickly and held it to the light, expelling the top contents and ridding it of air bubbles before he leaned over and injected it into Ethan's arm first. I watched the entire time, holding my breath in anticipation with the hope that it would work.

He used it all before he withdrew and pulled a second needle out of the box and drew up the rest of the contents of the vial before he did the same to Aiden. We could only stand there and wait — hoping that whatever he had done had worked.