𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟐𝟔

YOU COULDN'T WRITE IT.

Peter Hale — the man who had saved my life had turned into a revenge-seeking Alpha werewolf. He'd killed his niece 'by accident', however you did that, because he couldn't control himself one night of the full moon. He'd acquired the power from her that he so desperately seeked in order to heal his body completely from the burns that scarred his skin. His taking over in the Alpha title didn't bring him the control he thought it would though. Peter had been comatose for over six years and because of that the full moon had no effect on him. Once his body had slowly started to rejuvenate and heal itself he had no control under the overpowering effects the full moon had on werewolves.

However, even though Peter had killed Laura without an intention he still killed the rest of those men knowing exactly what he was doing. He admitted it to me — that he killed them to avenge the family because all of them had somehow been tied to the fire. It didn't make Peter a good man because what he had done was murder but there was a part of me that understood what he had done. I didn't condone it — not by any means, but I understood.

I felt like the main character in a movie, one that everyone was shouting at for trusting the bad guy. You could call me stupid but I trusted Derek to not let anything happen to me and for some weird and twisted reason I trusted that Peter wouldn't hurt me. He'd saved me from the fire and he also helped me at the video store when I got trapped under the cabinet.

I got willingly into Derek's car and when I saw we'd arrived at the what was once the Hale house I stumbled back into the black Camaro. It was the first time I'd seen the house since the fire and half of it had burnt to the ground. It was once a house that stood proudly in all it's glory but now it was just a sobering reminder of what had happened six years ago. I wasn't surprised when I was ambushed by another memory either but like every one I've had so far it didn't make a lick of sense to me.

Peter had explained to me why he'd done what he'd done and while there was still a part of me that sympathised with him he was still a psychopath who had terrorised me on two occasions. He'd killed all those people — besides Laura — for revenge knowing they were all somehow involved in the fire. I didn't think he knew who had orchestrated it though until I saw the way his face turned when I asked. I decided for a minute that I didn't actually want to know and that knowing would be harder than not knowing. I contemplated stopping him as he opened his mouth to give me the answer I dreaded to hear but as Derek saw my apprehension he shook his head and said to me,

"You might want to hear this."

Peter hesitated, his eyes flickering to Derek momentarily before he looked to me awaiting my confirmation. The only thing that had caused me to agree was the anticipation I felt and so when I nodded I realised there was no backing out.

Sometimes — or in this particular case — ignorance was bliss.

"Kate Argent." He had said and how he'd discovered that was completely unbeknownst to me but for a short while I didn't believe him. I thought he was using her name as a way to pull me further on to his side but when Derek informed me he was telling the truth I was consumed by a combination of immense anger and total disbelief.

I didn't hang around for much longer after that and Derek gave me a ride back into town. I decided to walk to my fathers house, a desperate need to see him residing within me and when I arrived I slammed the door shut so forcefully the house shook.

"Hello?" My dad yelled out, "Chris is that you?"

"Try again." I snapped, my tone harsh as I stormed furiously into the kitchen. I knew my dad would be there, for whatever reason it was where he always was.