𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟏𝟕

WHEN STILES CALLED to tell me he'd acquired a last minute detention with Harris I was tempted to storm back into school and punch him in the face. I wasn't impressed. After Econ I told him I needed to swing by my locker to collect my jacket and his words were 'I want to try one last thing with Scott, I'll meet you at the bike rack.'

So there I stood waiting for not only my friend but my ride home also which now wouldn't be coming. I offered to wait about for Stiles to finish but he informed me Harris' hadn't stated when detention was going to end. I groaned in frustration knowing he could keep them pretty much all night if he wanted to, he didn't have a life outside of school. I wasn't prepared to wait outside for however long and I managed to snag a ride from Lydia when I saw her crossing the car park with Jackson.

My friend had been more than willing to take me home but her boyfriend on the other hand.. yeah he wasn't big on the idea. You didn't have to be a genius to know that Jackson didn't like me and I wasn't at all bothered because I didn't like him either. I did though, have this constant urge to punch him in the face although I'm not entirely sure why. I just really disliked him.

The three of us had walked over to Lydia's car and I had fought Jackson for the passenger seat. I won of course, forcing his big head into the confined space in the back of her Beetle with a satisfied grin. When she dropped me off at home I closed the door before Jackson even the chance to push the front seat forwards to get out and I left them both bickering in the car over Lydia taking my side of the argument and forcing Jackson into the back seat.

My dad wasn't home and he didn't come home, not like I was bothered about it. I made myself some dinner and took myself up to my room to watch re-runs of Friends when I got a call from Derek. I hadn't realised how long I'd been watching the sitcom however as I looked to the time displayed on my phone which read 19:56. I'd gotten so caught up in the run up to Ross and Emily's wedding and the tragic but hilarious aftermath of it that I hadn't realised it was dark outside.

I accepted Derek's call after the fifth ring and held the device to my ear as I turned the volume of my television down.

"Hello?"

"Is your dad home?" He asked me. I rolled my eyes, hard. The thing with Derek was that every time we spoke over the phone or even in person there was no greeting. Not once had he stopped to say hi Alex or how're you doing Alex? I mean it was standard to accept a call from Derek and have him jump straight to the point. He was an impatient person after all but seriously would it hurt to learn a little phone etiquettecy?

"Hi, Alex, how are you? I'm great, thanks, Derek." I responded sarcastically.

I heard him huff in annoyance before he repeated, "Is your dad home?"

"No." I told him as if it were obvious, "Is his car on the drive?"

"No."

"Well then he's not home is he?" I asked my friend, "I thought you'd of had that one sussed out by now, Derek."

"Whatever, I'm coming in."

"Yeah, of course." My sarcastic tone appeared again as I begrudgingly got up off my bed, "You can come in, want a drink? A three course meal?"

Derek didn't reply, he just huffed again in annoyance and hung up. I pulled my phone away with an irate sigh and put it into my hoodie pocket, walking down the stairs into the hallway before finding him in the kitchen.

"What's up sour-puss?" I asked him casually in greeting, hopping on the kitchen counter and sitting there as he leaned on the white marble.

He rolled his eyes, "You're exactly like Stiles."